ALLOWUSERKEYCSA

We are currently running on Adabas 8.3.4 and Natural 8.2.7. The latest version of Z/OS 2.3 is supposed to be the last version to utilize ALLOWUSERKEYCSA. We currently have this set to YES so our Natural buffer pool sessions can be utilized when a user signs on with Complete. Without the YES setting we get a Nat1075 error (Global Natural buffer pool N827… allocated in system key.). The suggested solution is to install ASM Authorized Services Manager. Is there an alternate solution? I’d like to avoid having to install and configure this ASM tool.

SAG documentation.

Allocation of the Natural GBP
If the z/OS parameter ALLOWUSERKEYCSA(YES) has explicitly been specified in SYS1.PARMLIB(DIAGxx), a Natural global buffer pool is allocated in user key, so that Natural sessions accessing a global buffer pool have write permission for that buffer pool.
If ALLOWUSERKEYCSA(NO) is in effect, a Natural global buffer pool is allocated in system key; therefore, Natural sessions accessing a global buffer pool do not have any write permission for that buffer pool. These Natural sessions call the Authorized Services Manager (ASM) to perform all buffer pool functions. As a consequence, installation of the ASM is mandatory. The ASM ist not only called to load a Natural object into the buffer pool but also to maintain the use count of a Natural object if the execution of this Natural object is started or terminated. The calls to the Authorized Services Manager will increase Natural’s resource consumption. The overhead is hard to predict and depends on the application profile (ratio of program calls to program execution time).

Hi Antonio

We did have the same situation and we found that there is no alternative. We have installed ASM which was very easy and have not had any issues so far.

Regards

I’m currently in the process of trying to setup the started task for ASM. Would you be able to share information on what steps are needed in the JCL?

I got the ASM running. I have one question that i hope someone could have some insight to. We have four global buffer pools, one for each database. They all going to be monitored by one ASM task. Should i be concerned with a single ASM not being able to manage four different buffer pools?

My understanding is that multiple databases can share a single bufferpool. If that is the case then i would think we would be fine with a single ASM task running and not one for each buffer pool.