Wm Architecture

Hello there,

We did custum installation of webmethods6.1, means we donot have IntegrationServer directory in our installation, our structure is as follows
/usr/local/webMethods/IS1
/usr/local/webMethods/IS2
/usr/local/webMethods/Broker
/usr/local/webMethods/common etc…

IntegrationServer directory is replaced by IS1, and IS2, we have two IS’s running on one UNIx box and on Broker. Until now to apply patches we were unzipping the files in different directory and copying to the IS1 directory. Now the we are planning to upgrade to 6.5 version, and we want to use Installer to install, is there any way we can upgrade at the current installation.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I assume you mean use Installer to upgrade both of your Integration Server instances. I think the answer is “no” at least not using Installer.

Installer only prompts for the location of the wm_home directory and does not give you options to override the default Integration Server folder.

To do this, I would think that you could use Installer to install the first instance of a 6.5 Integration Server, change its primary port, install the second instance and then migrate your packages and server settings manually.

I too, like having short folder names for IntegrationServer, but gave up on doing that after upgrading to 6.0. I still refuse to allow Installer to use the “Program Files” folder when installing on Windows boxes and can’t for the life of me understand why this is the default.

Mark

I agree with you carlson, I have been doing the same, for fixes and patches, but to install the service pack it is very difficult, as there are many files it is hard to find which one is copied, and unzipping the SP it has 15 zip files in it, it is kind a difficult to install SP manually for my kind of setup.

If you come up with some thing which can solve my problem please let me know, i appreciate your help.

Thanks.

I find that working in unix is much much easier than winblows because you don’t have to fiddle with the registry.

If you need a sandbox, you merely cp -r and choose a new directory. Edit server.cnf and server.bat (to adjust memory, ports) and off you go.

Windows is much more difficult to get multiple instances to run correctly, but it is possible.

For service packs, I’m use to doing everything manually, one-by-one. Windows seems to be somewhat easier but unix is more efficient (opinion).

All in all, it comes down to process.

1. Back Up your entire IS directory.
  2. Install the SPs.
  3. Flip the switch and pray that everything works.

If it doesn’t, capture the issue, create a support request, restore your instance.