What advantage do webservices bring to the table

Hello - I am no expert on web services, so I was wondering what advantage they bring over ‘plain XML’ protocol implementations.

I recently posted this comment to the Slashdot discussion site: “Where do xCBL and cXML fit in?”. It got ‘modded’ down (unfairly, I might add … ) to ‘offtopic’ and got no replies – but I was hoping you guys could comment on a few questions I have.

Basically, I don’t see any advantage web services have over the cXML and xCBL usage described in my post.

Am I on the wrong track ? Will we ever see, say, a cXML document transmitted or encapsulated by a web service? Or, given that business functionality mapping and verification needs to be carried out for each B2B XML implementation; will xCBL /cXML /ebXML completely pass away in favor of custom web services? Alternatively, does anyone see widespread and uniform adoption of a standard like xCBL /cXML /ebXML somehow automating the mappings/verfication step? Are web services of any help for this?

1. web services can use xml documents (xCBL, cXML etc)
  2. web services opens up an interface and is encapsulation at work. It is not the same as web services
  3. xCBL, cXML and documents like that just try to standardize business transactions, it doesnt do any processes.

So there is nothing much to compare between webservices and xml’s. Its like milk and the milk man. kinda…