User with Inventory Role cannot see widgets in Application Builder

Hi Cumulocity IoT Users,

i have a problem with inventory roles and the Application Builder. I think i set it up correctly but the widgets in the Dashboards do not load (see screenshot)
For my admin user they do load.

Product/components used and version/fix level are you on:

Cumulocity Backend Version: 1015.0.244
Application Builder Version: 1011.0.37

Detailed explanation of the problem:

What i have on the tenant:

• A group “BobsGroup” containing one device “BobsDevice”
  • Custom Application Builder App “BobsApp”
    • displaying a dashboard containing widgets that show values of Device “BobsDevice”
  • Global role “CustomUserRole”
    • access to Application Builder
    • (and little other stuff not relevant )
  • Inventory role “Device Measurements Events Alarms Read”
    • see screenshot
  • User “Bob”
    • assigned to global role “CustomUserRole”
    • assigned to inventory role “Device Measurements Events Alarms Read” for the Group “BobsGroup”
    • allowed application access to “BobsApp”

→ Bob user is able to log in and see the “BobsApp” but no Widgets are loaded. (see screenshot)

Opend with Bob:

Opend with Admin User:

Configured Inventory Role:

Error messages / full error message screenshot / log fileL

None

Is your question related to the free trial, or to a production (customer) instance?

Cumulocity IoT Edge

Have you installed all the latest fixes for the products and systems you are using?

see versions, updated some weeks ago

Hi Simeon,

Thanks for sharing details. I am not sure why it is not working for you.

I need some details to investigate further:

1. Are you getting any error in browser console when you are trying access app using Bob user ?
    If yes, please share screenshot/error details.

2. Are you getting same error while accessing from different browser ?

Hi Darpan,

1. Errors when loading the page:

2. I can only use google chrome atm, because of proxy/vpn issues.

Hi Simeon,

Is there any role(s) assigned to dashboard?
You can verify that using Admin access from here: BobsApp → Configuration → General → Your Dashboard.

Have you configured any specific permission to CustomUserRole ?

I also recognized that. Some widgets and dashboard of the application builder creating Managed Objects which are not part of any group. When using inventory roles the user does not have access to them unfortunately. For me this is a bad data design.

Workaround was to search for them (via console), add them to a group, assign inventory roles to that group so the user can access them :wink:
It’s not so easy as the Managed objects are not visible in any UI you have to access them using the devicemanagement UI and their inventory ID assigning them to the group you assign to that user.

Thanks @Stefan_Witschel for sharing feedback.
In application builder 1.3.1, we have introduced “Role based Access”. This enables user to control dashboard visibility in application builder by assigning global role(s) to a dashboard.

Any Managed Object created w.r.t. dashboard by application builder is having c8y_global fragment. Therefore, those managed object are accessible without assigning any specific role/permissions.

1 Like

Hi and thanks for the responses,

@Darpankumar_Lalani yes i used the RBAC. As you can see in the screenshots i sent before, in the naviagation list of Admin more entries therfore more Dashboards can be displayed. Here is a screenshot of this config:

This works fine with displaying the or not displaying the links in the navigation. I do not think that is the reason for the widgets not to load - i can access the dashboards that i want so it seems to me that this feature works fine.

@Stefan_Witschel I did not have the time to try that workaround yet. i will keep you updated

@simeon.mendgen It might be related to widgets you are using. Can you state which widgets you use in your application builder dashboard?

The widgets i use in this dashboard are:

• Datapoints Graph,
  • Radial Gauge
  • Linear Gauge
  • Info Gauge

Hi Simeon,

Thanks for sharing widget details.
I tried to simulate your scenario in my tenant. However, issue reported by you is not reproducible.
Please see below screenshot:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.