Use of request variables in query

Hi,

I need to be able to perform a query where a paramter for the query is a request variable to the jsp page.

The following is what I have been trying but it does not work. I’m guessing its because the JSP scope comes after the XApplication scope.

<xapp:module>

<form method="POST" action="view.jsp" name="form_view">
   <xapp:form document="CapabilityDocument">

<input type="hidden" name="cap_id" value="<%= request.getParameter("cap_id")%>"/>

<xapp:setvar name="whereFilterID" scope="session" value="${cap_id$}" default=" " />

<xapp:setvar name="cap_query_by_id" >
          for $x in input()/Capability where $x/@id = "${whereFilterID$" return $x 
      </xapp:setvar>

<xapp:directcommand type="read" collection="${NMPCollection$}" document="CapabilityDocument" arg="${cap_query_by_id$}"/>

<xapp:browse document="CapabilityDocument" pagesize="1" >

</xapp:browse>

</xapp:form>

</form>

</xapp:module>

any help will be greatly appriciated.

Thank you.

–joey

X-Application Version: 4.1.1
Tamino Version : 4.1.1
Platform : Win2k
WebContainer : Tomcat 4.1.24
JDK Version : 1.4.1

Hello Joey,

please have a look at the topic Using a Javabean value in a directelementaction for a similar problem.

Regards, Harald

Thanks for the tip Harald.

After reading the post you directed me to I realize its not possible to set attrubte values with <% %> JSP tags.

so the following is what I ended up trying.

<body>
<%
SessionContext sessionContext = ServletSessionContext.getSessionContext(pageContext);

String id = request.getParameter("cap_id");
String query = "for $x in input()/Capability where $x/@id = \"" + id + "\" return $x";

sessionContext.getVariablesHandler().setVariable("cap_query_by_id", query, "session");

out.println("ID : " + id);
out.println("<br/>");
out.println("query = " + sessionContext.getVariablesHandler().getVariable("cap_query_by_id")); 
%>

<xapp:module>

<form method="POST" action="view_test.jsp" name="form_view">
        <xapp:form>
	   <xapp:directcommand type="read" collection="${NMPCollection$}" document="CapabilityDocument" arg="${cap_query_by_id$}"/>

<xapp:browse document="CapabilityDocument" pagesize="1" >
               <xapp:display select="./name" />

</xapp:browse>

</form>
   </xapp:module>

</body>

The query variable seems to be set because I print it out and it’s there. And it looks like the query is actualy being performed, BUT the contents of the returned element within the xapp:browse/ tag are not displayed. If I pass an invalid ID to this page I get a StoredException : element not found in database. So its something with the tag I’m guessing.

Any ideas what could be causing this behaviour ?
Thanks…

-joey

Hello,

you are using a ‘read’ command. This command requests a single document from the Tamino Server and stores this document within the workspace. The name of the document is ‘CapabilityDocument’.

You can access the document by defining a document context via the xapp:form tag. Therefore, could you replace the browse tag by

<xapp:form document="CapabilityDocument>

The browse tag is used to iterate a document set stemming from ‘query’ or ‘xquery’ commands / actions.

Bye,
Christian.

Thanks Christian.

I see what the problem was. I reaplced the browse tag with a form tag and a document=“CapabilityDocument” attribtue and that fixed the problem. Now the query is performed and the result is display properly.

Thanks again!!

–joeycz

Hello,

nice to hear that your problem could be solved.

Just another tip to solve your former problem:

You want to use a request parameter within a query. Request parameter are transferred per default to the variables handler.

So, you could check this for your parameter ‘cap_id’. If you add a tag

<xapp:getvar name="cap_id" /> 
</pre><BR><BR>on the page, the value of the request parameter should be displayed.<BR><BR>Therefore, you could also define your query referrencing this variable.<BR><BR><pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
<xapp:setvar name="cap_query_by_id" 
  value="for $x in input()/Capability where $x/@id = ${cap_id$} return $x" />
</pre><BR><BR>And then, you could use your directcommand<BR><BR><pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
<xapp:directcommand type="read"
                     collection="${NMPCollection$}" 
                         document="CapabilityDocument" 
                    arg="${cap_query_by_id$}" />

If this proposal works, you can skip the Java code of your JSP.

Excuse me when sending this proposal so late.

Bye,
Christian.

Christain, thank you for your reply.

awsome… i didnt know that the variables handler has access to request parameters… very cool…

this method is much more elegant then the JSP code approach. Although i did make one minor correction to the query veriable. quotes are requierd arround cap_id.

<xapp:getvar name="cap_id" /> 
	<xapp:setvar name="cap_query_by_id">
		for $x in input()/Capability where $x/@id = "${cap_id$}" return $x 
	</xapp:setvar>

Thanks very much… this is realy helpful

btw… is this document anywhere in the XApplication documentation ? It would be very usefull to maybe add such a thing to the documentation of the next release of XApplication.

–joeycz

Hello,

there is a chapter ‘Defining and Processing XQueries’. It contains examples how define a query based on input fields. Input fields of a HTML form are request parameters that are send when HTML form is submitted.

However, we don’t have a section within the documentation where the mechanism of the request handling is explained. Could be a task for a next version :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Bye,
Christian.