The process engine did not return a process instance ID

Hi ,

I have created a very simple process with just start and end event. When I try to debug it by clicking “Debug Selected Process” I get the error : “The process engine did not return a process instance ID” .
Please help how to get past this error.Thank you.

MT

Hello Maria,

Make sure you have correct settings and configuration on IS. Make sure if you are able to connect to Process Audit Database and WmPRT and WmMonitor packages are enabled on IS. Do you receive any error while doing “build and upload”

Can you share the messages on error and server log if you see anything.

Hi,

Here is the output when I click “Build and upload for execution” :

Build of process “ContactDetails” started at Fri Jan 16 10:00:44 EET 2015
Checking database for prior build and upload of process: “ContactDetails” version: “1”
Retrieving previous build information for process: “ContactDetails” version: “1”
Testing connection for Integration Server “Sandbox”
Process “ContactDetails” has been previously built. Any changes to the flows in this version will be reflected below.
Updating input signature for mapping service for task “Start”. Verify the data mappings in the generated service, as it might be broken. Step ID: “S17”
Updating output signature mapping service for task/event “Start”. Verify the data mappings in the generated service, as it might be broken. Step ID: “S17”
Generating triggers for “ContactDetails”…
Generating transition trigger for process “ContactDetails” Integration Server “Sandbox”
Generating subscription trigger for process “ContactDetails” Integration Server “Sandbox”
Generating process engine fragments for process “ContactDetails”
Generating process engine fragment for Integration Server “Sandbox”
Saving process engine fragment for Integration Server “Sandbox”
Saving build information for process: “ContactDetails” version: “1” to database…
Checking Quality of Service settings for previous generation of process: “ContactDetails”.
Build of process “ContactDetails” completed successfully at Fri Jan 16 10:01:17 EET 2015
Upload for execution of process “ContactDetails” completed successfully.
Restoring Quality of Service settings from previous values for process: “ContactDetails”.

My environment is setup correctly. Any hints?Thank you.

From the logs I see some warnings;

Updating input signature for mapping service for task “Start”. Verify the data mappings in the generated service, as it might be broken. Step ID: “S17”
Updating output signature mapping service for task/event “Start”. Verify the data mappings in the generated service, as it might be broken. Step ID: “S17”

Can you verify the same on in the generated package.

When you debug make sure you are in the process debugging mode. Also please share your process file and services (packages).

Thanks for your reply.But could you let me know what the message " Verify the data mappings in the generated service, as it might be broken." means ? What should I check?

Hi Maria,

I suggest, kindly check Process engine logs, also make sure you process details are been getting stored as part of DB. In your model kindly check are all components are properly connected. Also if possible kindly share your BPM model here.

Thanks,

May I ask for your webMethods version?.

The Warning is occuring as the Process has already been build at least once.

Depending on what changed it might be, that Input/Output signatures of the generated Services have been changed and therefore the Logic inside the generated service mght be referencing outdated fields.

Regards,
Holger