Testing of Cumulocity IoT Edge

Hi. I am new to this community and wanted to ask about IoT edge. My use case for it is simple, we require a solution that handles IoT devices locally. For that I need to test IoT Edge with my local HiveMq mqtt broker that is already handling about 50-60 devices. I got the free trial for cumulocity but want to test edge out as we want to keep the connection local. If anyone knows the procedure for this please let me know. I referred to the documentation on installing edge and found out it also requires a license key so I am a bit puzzled on how to test this.

1 Like

Hi @sarmads96

welcome to the IoT Community!
There is no trial for Cumulocity IoT Edge but you can contact us understand your use case better and offer you some options.

https://www.softwareag.com/en_corporate/platform/iot/iot-contact-us.html

Regards
Stefan

Hi Stefan. I am going to do just that. Thanks.

Hi! Thanks a lot. Since the edge is based on the platform (please correct me if I am wrong) , my next goal is to test a single device working on my local broker by connecting it with the cumulocity cloud so that I can register it as a device. I browsed a lot of articles on this and found one dynamic mqtt mapper which fits my use case. Since I am using the trial, it does not support adding the microservice feature as of yet for the trial version. So that’s why I am looking for an alternate solution which will help me test this platform and explore the key features of cumulocity IoT.

Regards

Sarmad

Hi @sarmads96 ,

same process. After contacting us we can most probably provide you with a tenant and/or subscribe microservice hosting to it.

Using the dynamic mapper is one way but therefor the MQTT broker must be reachable by the mapper. This can be achieved by either using a public MQTT broker + C8Y IoT Cloud Trial Tenant OR a private hosted/local MQTT Broker + C8Y IoT Edge (+ dynamic mapper) running in the same network. In this case you do the mapping directly in Cumulocity.

You can also check thin-edge.io to connect your device to a local mqtt broker (built-in) and do the mapping on a gateway (raspberry pi etc.) to the cloud or edge. In this case you need to implement mapping logic to map the device data to the thin-edge format running as a mapping module at thin-edge. A small script might be sufficient, depends of course on the complexity of your device data.

1 Like