Splitting a DocumentList

Hello All,

I would like to know if there is a way by I can split a documentlist into 2 or more document list without having go through a loop.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
byspeaks.

That depends entirely on what is used to determine which items in the original list go into the target lists.

What’s the concern with using a loop?

Raemon,

Thanks for the reply. The idea is this.

I receive a document list of about 1500 to 2000 (this can scale up) documents per minute. I need to insert this into the database. If I could split this into 2 or 3 documentslist then I could do a parallel processing and insert this into the database parallely.

The concern with using a loop for splitting is there are going to be 2 loop one after another. One for splitting the document and mapping it to the target document to create a new document and the other is to insert it into the database.If one of these could be curtalied than the performance is suerly bound to increase.

I would really appreciate if you could tell me an alternate way to achieve this.

Regards,
byspeaks

There are lots of ways.

• Ask whomever is sending you 1500-2000 documents at one time to send them one at a time. Or in smaller batches. How big are the documents? Getting a list like this to process all at once can be problematic depending on the document sizes.

• Loop over the list just once. Transform and store. No need to split that into two loops.

• Loop over the list and create thread for each entry using doThreadInvoke. Be careful about this one since you can easily flood your system with too many threads.

• Break up the list using using a Java service into groups of 50. Spawn a thread for each group.

• Are you using TN? If so, you can use it to help you with parallel processing and throttling things so you don’t kill the server.

These were just a few options off the top of my head.

Thanks . That was helpful . I guess I would follow 4th suggestion.