Setting up Service Monitoring in webMethods Integration Server 10.7

Introduction

Integration Server Administrator 10.7 has a new user interface for monitoring services and documents. The new monitoring user interface runs entirely in the administrator; it has no dependencies on My webMethods Server. This article explains the prerequisites for monitoring in Integration Server or Microservices Runtime.

The default Administrator in 10.7 is the same as in previous releases. The new Administrator can be accessed by clicking a button at the top of the default Administrator:

The new Administrator can also be selected by URL. For example, http://localhost:5555/WmAdmin

Prerequisites

WmMonitor package

Service monitoring requires the WmMonitor package. A new installation of Integration Server 10.7 automatically selects WmMonitor. WmMonitor must be explicitly selected when installing Microservices Runtime.

External Database

Monitoring requires an external database with the Integration Server and Process Engine database components installed. Process Engine database components are required for archiving, described later in this article. When using the database configuration utility, select Integration Server and Process Engine as products. For example:

Enable Logging

The service logger must be configured to use an external database:

The document logger can also be enabled: Administration > Logging Configuration > View Document Logger Details > Edit Document Logger Details

Enable Service Audit Logging

Service audit logging must be enabled for each service to be monitored. Service audit logging is enabled in webMethods Designer.

In the service’s Input/Output tab fields can be selected for logging:

See “Configuring Service Audit Logging” in webMethods Service Development Help.

Data Management

The Administrator has a new data management interface for archiving and deleting audit log data:

Archiving must be configured in Integration Server or Microservices Runtime to use data management.

Refer to “Configuring the Archive Database” in the Monitor User’s Guide.

6 Likes

Great article Jason,
Thanks for this. The service auditing solution is super powerful but unfortunately little used. I’m sure however now that we have a great new UI hosted directly via the Integration Server it will get used a lot more.

I would like to add that as well as logged fields, developers can choose to log their own transaction id and use that for viewing and searching.

From any service that is being audited simply invoke the service pub.flow:setCustomContextID

making sure to map your functional identifier to the id input.

From the monitoring page you can reconfigure the table columns to include your custom id via the preferences cog.

You can also filter using you custom transaction id via the advanced search field.

regards,
John.

7 Likes

i don’t think it’s needed. there are free URL & SSL monitor services for free, so you don’t need to install anything on your PC.

the one im using is Aleret