Problem with EntireX Java Wrapper

Hi all,

We recently upgraded our EntireX Communicator from 7.1.10 to 7.1.30. Unfortunately, after the upgrade, we have not been able to compile projects writen in Java.

Our environment:

Server: VSE, EntireX 6.2.2
Client: Windows 2000 Professional, EntireX 7.1.30, Java JDK and JVM 1.4

Here’s the error message that we got:

[2004-11-22 10:03:42 PST] java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 12
at java.lang.String.checkBounds(String.java:287)
at java.lang.String.(String.java:370)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.ab.x(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.ak.h(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.ag.(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.ak.(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.z.(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.z.b(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.u.a(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.RPCService.findRpcVersion(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.RPCService.buildHeader(Unknown Source)
at Rpclib.utl019w1(Rpclib.java:91)
at DirectAction.goMainMenuAction(DirectAction.java:223)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
at com.webobjects.appserver.WODirectAction.performActionNamed(WODirectAction.java:128)
at com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOActionRequestHandler._handleRequest(WOActionRequestHandler.java:240)
at com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOActionRequestHandler.handleRequest(WOActionRequestHandler.java:142)
at com.webobjects.appserver.WOApplication.dispatchRequest(WOApplication.java:1306)
at com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOWorkerThread.runOnce(WOWorkerThread.java:173)
at com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOWorkerThread.run(WOWorkerThread.java:254)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

[2004-11-22 10:03:42 PST] java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOActionRequestHandler._handleRequest(WOActionRequestHandler.java:250)
at com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOActionRequestHandler.handleRequest(WOActionRequestHandler.java:142)
at com.webobjects.appserver.WOApplication.dispatchRequest(WOApplication.java:1306)
at com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOWorkerThread.runOnce(WOWorkerThread.java:173)
at com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOWorkerThread.run(WOWorkerThread.java:254)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
Caused by: java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 12
at java.lang.String.checkBounds(String.java:287)
at java.lang.String.(String.java:370)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.ab.x(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.ak.h(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.ag.(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.ak.(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.z.(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.z.b(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.u.a(Unknown Source)
at com.softwareag.entirex.aci.RPCService.findRpcVersion(Unknown Source)
at Rpclib.utl019w1(Rpclib.java:91)
at DirectAction.goMainMenuAction(DirectAction.java:223)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)

I would really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

there is a known problem with Natural NAT 31 on mainframe which results in this exception.
It is solved with service pack NAT316I016 and above.
Please check your Natural environment.

There is also a fix for the EntireX Java RPC Runtime, which handles this error in a robust way. This fix is included in the next EntireX patch EXX 7.1.1.60. Will be available in the next week(s).

Kind regards,
Rolf

Rolf,

Thank you so much for your reply.

We’ve just checked with Denver Support team and was told that both NAT316I016 and EntireX patch EXX 7.1.1.60 are not available until some time in December.

What’s weird about the problem is that first, I am to run the project by simply pointing to production broker (our production environment has LOWER version of Natural). Second, I am able to create and run successfully a new project using the same natural subprogram in Development. However, the name of the java object generated by IDL file must be changed. Otherwise, I would still get the same error. How can I explain this behavior of the application ?

Hi Paul,

the error is dependent on the length of the library name (I assume this is what you are changing). Thus the error occurs only sporadically.

The current plan is to release 7.1.1.60 next week. Is that too late for you ?

Kind regards,
Rolf