Priority Queue Messaging

Hi All,

I want to implement Priority Queue Messaging for a Trigger which means i should be able to set priority for messages and the trigger should be able to deliver messages based on priority.

I can see the documentation [8-0-SP1_Publish_Subscribe_Developers_Guide.pdf - Page 129] explained pretty well.

But i want to know

1. What impact it would have on Broker performance as the less priorities stays in broker while high priority messages are getting processed
  2. Did anyone implement the same
  3. Is it a good idea that we set priority for messages and process it
  4. Are we maintaining publication order

Regards,
Sudheer Martha

Can you tell what’s the statistical transaction volumes you might be having in your project that uses priority messaging on the Broker queues since you are asking about the performance impact?

Hi Rmg,

During peak hours i.e. from 4 AM to 6AM CET, we get around 5000 messages and each message varies from 5 to 8KB.
As we are using a serial trigger and publising documents to broker, trigger queue would be piled-up and messages with timing concern would wait until the earlier would get finished. So, if we set priority to messages those which has timing concern then they can be delivered sooner and faster.

Regards,
Sudheer Martha

Why don’t you use the concurrent mode on the trigger with thread capacity of 10 or 20 ? This way it is faster in performance and clears the client queues especially when dealing with higher volumes vs Serial publish that you are facing.

So can you try the above scenario in lower environment and test with similar prod volumes or still you want it to be priority based?

HTH,
RMG

Hi Rmg,

Sorry to inform that i don’t want to implement trigger in concurrent mode which would not follow publication order.

Example: For shipments, if i send both Original and Change message along with some other messages and if i use concurrent then i am not sure which one would execute first and if change messsage goes first, it would fail as original is not yet present. That is the reason why i don’t want to go for Concurrent mode.

I think now i am more clear.

Regards,
Sudheer Martha

So when you go with priority mode on some queues it shouldn’t affect any thing on the Broker performance and you have reviewed the docs that explained well in the setup…

First test the changes in your lower environment and test prove the solution…

I see there will be no impact but the messages processing wise of 5k documents still be slow on the queues with serial publish though and you are fully aware of it already.

We here don’t have priority setup as we speak but do seen this similar design long back.

HTH,
RMG