PackageDoc package

Hi all. I posted a new package in the Shareware section named PackageDoc. It displays package and service documentation for any package in the classic wM format. It uses the comments typed on the comments tab of services and the comments in the parameter properties so it makes maintaining up-to-date docs easier. The package itself provides an example of how to create and maintain package docs.
[url=“wmusers.com”]wmusers.com

Many thanks to Ravindran.V for the foundation. Try it out and post any comments or suggestions for improvement here.

-Rob

There is a cosmetic bug in one of the services. To correct it:

1. In Developer, open and lock for edit the PackageDoc.services:getServiceDetail service.

2. Expand the sequence completely.

3. Click on the step “java: MAP” and expand the serviceDetail document in the pipeline.

4. Change the setting for “svc_type_Name” from “FLOW” to “Java”.

5. Save the change and unlock the service.

Viewing the PackageDoc for a package can be integrated into the Packages | Management page that lists all packages on the server. It involves a fairly minor modification to packages\WmRoot\pub\package-list.dsp to add an icon (with link) right after the package name. With the change you can view the packages list as always in Administrator, then click on the little icon next to the package name to view its PackageDoc info. If interested in doing this, drop me a line–I hesitate publicly posting instructions for modifiying core wM .dsp files.

Ravindran.V and Rob - just wanted to say thank you - this looks like a very useful package to have.

I’ve tried it in 4.6, but it didn’t work as expected (only the packages list in the main screen work). I guess it a 6.x and upwards compatible package, and I hope to try it on 6.1 soon.

Thanks guys for sharing the package.

I didn’t try it on 4.6. I’ll see if I can track down the problem and provide a fix so that it will work with 4.6.

I appreciate you offering to do that Rob.

I had a look at it to see what was involved and think I have it working in 4.6…

Service #1: PackageDoc.services:getServiceDetail
It calls 6.x style services like ‘pub.xml:xmlStringToXMLNode’ which don’t exist on 4.6. I changed two invokes to 4.6 equivalents (stringToDocument, documentToRecord)

Service #2: PackageDoc.services:getServiceDetailList
It called a transformer named ‘pub.list:appendToDocumentList’ which I converted to ‘pub.list:appendToRecordList’

I’ve attached the modified file:

Ravindran.V and Rob’s PackageDoc package modified to work for 4.6
PackageDoc_v3_46changes.zip (54.9 k)

Can you see if the 4.6 functionality was how it is intended to work?

I put the modified package on my 4.6 Build 939 with IBM JVM 1.3.0 and it works as intended. Glad it was just the deprecated services.

Hi,

Sorry , i did not test the package with earlier vesrions,

I have furter ideas but these are little more time consuming.

1. To generate pseudo code description from comments in the steps.
  2. To show cached flow seperately
  3. To show Audit enabled services seperately as in situation , one would like to get a list of all the audit enabled services.
  4. To generate a logical flow document from File port configuration to show how the processing happens and if any publishing happens in the flow, similar to how Enterprise Integrator dsiplays the pubslish subscribe.

Also on the lines a performace analysing tool that tells which service is clogging and taking most of the time.

So lot of ideas are there, i hope will get more time to conribute more.

Thanks to Rob emaon for the changes.

Ravindran.V
“Determination can move mountains”

Thanks for providing the service again Ravindran. Sounds like a good plan.

It would be great if we built functionality to automate generation of IS service documentation – i.e. tools that document how service calls “chain” together into an execution path. In 2002, I put this and some other ideas down on this thread: (my post is 5th from top, see Rob’s posts as well.)
[url=“wmusers.com”]wmusers.com

Regarding your ideas:

1. Generate pseudo code
    — WM Developer generates excellent pseudo-code as an HTML page - it would be great to leverage that and generate that for an entire server, with an INVOKEs hyperlinked to documentation on that particular INVOKE. (see thread above)

2. & 3. To show cached flow /audit enabled services seperately
    — It would be good to be able to sort by attributes of a service, and define new attribute queries dynamically. For eg: “Show all services which have an active restorePipelineFromFile call”