Nat1009 during debugging

Product/components used and version/fix level:

SoftwareAG Designer 10.15
Natural One Version: 9.2.1 Build id: 0003-0002
fix #3 applied

Summary

Hi, please any tips for avoiding the following error during debug session at Natural One:

Error messages / full error message screenshot / log file:

NAT1009 Program interrupted after 12000 database calls.

Detailed explanation of the problem:

I’m debugging a program that will run in batch mode.
I tried using LIMIT command but it seems not related.

In the “Natural Server” view => Properties , I’ve put “MADIO=35000” but it seems it is not working, because our *ERROR-TA has recorded this:

MADIO or MAXCL EXCEEDED . 
	DEFAULT MADIO = 12000 , DEFAULT MAXCL = 5000   
	CURRENT MADIO = 42    , CURRENT MAXCL = 10

Here is the main structre of the program:

FR1. FOR #YEAR = #PARAM-INI TO #PARAM-FIN
	RD1. READ ORIGIN-FILE WITH #DESCRIPTOR-ORIGIN = #YEAR
		FN1. FIND NUMBER DESTINY-FILE WITH #DESCRIPTOR-DESTINY = *ISN(RD1.) 
			IF *NUMBER (FN1.) NE 0
				ESCAPE TOP
				END-IF
		RD2. READ COMPLEMENTARY-DATA WITH #DESCRIPTOR-COMPL = #DESCRIPTOR-ORIGIN
			END-READ /* RD2.
			/* MOVE DATA FROM ORIGIN AND COMPLEMENTARY TO DESTINY FIELDS
			ST1. STORE DESTINY-FILE
		END-READ /* RD1.
	END-FOR /* FR1.

This process loops trough some years, appending new records from origin into destiny with some complementary data.
Any deliberations are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Question related to a free trial, or to a production (customer) instance?

Production instance, using at Development environment.

will read with multi-fetch on option work?

1 Like

No Multi Fetch for now.
Only simple READ … WITH .

When NATURAL Security is active it may prevent you from overriding MADIO

1 Like

Out of curiosity, I wonder how we could reset MADIO during debug

For your READ loops, do you have an exit to the loops? READ file with de = ‘value’ is the equivalent of “read file with de starting with ‘value’”. That is, unlike a FIND that returns only de = ‘value’, it will return all de/sp values greater than or equal to the starting value.
Thus, “READ ORIGIN-FILE WITH DESCRIPTOR-ORIGIN = #YEAR” will read STARTING FROM #YEAR through end of file DESCRIPTOR-ORIGIN. With the nested RD2 doing the same thing, you could have a lot of wasted I/Os driving up your MADIO count.

1 Like

My goal is to optimize these three searches of the program. The 1009 error is just an obstacle.
I am using the debugger to get this *NUMBER values of all the searches, to later experiment some variants of READ, and maybe some different main logical.

I undestand that the lower the *NUMBER, the better is the search. Is that correct?

*NUMBER is applicable to the FIND statement, not the READ statement. Only *COUNTER and *ISN are supplied by the READ statement. As a generalization, if a FIND will return 20% or less of the possible records, it will be more efficient than a READ PHYSICAL (the exact efficiency will depend on lots of things, such as the ratio of records per block, organization of data relative to the descriptor being used, etc). Generally, yes, you want to minimize *NUMBER for FINDs and *COUNTER (actual count of records read if WHERE clause not used).

You may not need your FOR loop - just “READ ORIGIN-FILE WITH DESCRIPTOR-ORIGIN = #PARAM-INI TO #PARAM-FIN”. How many records do you expect to read with RD2? You have the STORE outside of this loop, so I’m guessing only 1 or perhaps just a few - in which case, a FIND will likely be most efficient.

1 Like

At R2 it is expected only one record, because #DESCRIPTOR-COMPL is unique, so I’ll replace for FIND.
About the FOR loop I’ve already been considering removing it.
I appreciate the suggestions, thanks!

Both RD1. And RD2. Are read logicals that are reading from your starting point until the end of file.

So for EACH record you read in RD1. You are reading the entire file in RD2.

Only after reading the entire file in RD2. (from starting point) do you add a record.

I suspect you really should be doing a FIND in RD2. And maybe since RD1. Is inside a FOR loop maybe a FIND there too.

It is also possible your FOR is causing RD1 to go thru the file multiple times.

Conclusion you may be exceeding even your increased MADIO.

Review the program to see if it is really doing what you want.

:blush:

Eugene (Gene) Miklovich

ADABAS/NATURAL Systems Support and DBA

Cell: 916-202-7047

Normal Hours: 8am-4pm E.T.

Please call or text if assistance needed outside these hours.

1 Like