Multiple IS Instances Using Same Database

Hi
Wanted to check if we can use same DB for multiple IS instances installed on same host .Are there are any pros and cons using this kind of architecture. Will we have any issues with this set up. We have BPM as well.
Thanks,
Madhu

Hi Madhu,

as long as the instances are meant to build up a single cluster of ISes it is neccessary that all of these ISes are using the same database schema.

When they are meant to be indepedent instances (not in cluster), they need to use different database schema to avoid data mix up between the instances.

The different database schema for the different instances can be hosted on a shared database instance then.

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

Hi Madhu,

As perfectly said by Holger, guess it is nothing to do with database instance, but it is purely based on database schemas inside that instance and nature of your IS instances. ( same instances clustered or different instances ).

Regards,
Firoz N

1 Like

Might be dependent on the database type/vendor, but usually one database instance can handle severals users/schemas.

Thanks Guys for your reply it helped.Had a question each of the instances consume seperate memory ? Ex for IS: if I want to install 3 instances will the memory consumed would be 2GB*3 which would be 6GB RAM.? Am I correct here.

Hi Madhu,

each of the instances is running in its own jvm process as well as the additional wrapper jvm process.
Therefore you will find several directories under IntegrationServer/instances as well as under profiles/IS_* which refer to the instances and their names after creation.

Therefore you can configure each instance to have different amount of memory allocated and you should prepare the hosting box with more RAM than planned for your IS instances itself as their will be additional RAM required for the wrappers and the SPM installation when you are planning to use Command Central.

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

Hi Madhu,

You need to identify your business volume needs during peak time and based on that you come up with Infrastructure setup. If you already did this and you think 2 GB is required per instance then I would loop for doubling the RAM overall in the machine where Iā€™m running this 3 instances in parallel.

So 2GB*3 = 6 GB, I would go with 12GB to 16GB on a safer side, as IS is just one application where as your OS will have many other processes running which consume memory and cause issues during peak times.

wM components itself comes with additional component like wrappers & SPM, even if you do not have command central requirement.

Regards,
Firoz N

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.