Multiple Broker monitor on the same machine

Hi,

I have the following problem:
On the same machine I have Broker Server 6.0.1 and Broker Server 6.1, when I installed webMethods 6.1 it upgraded Broker Monitor 6.0.1 to 6.1.

Does anywone now if it is possible to have two Broker Monitors ( different versions ) on the same machine or if there any problems running a Broker Server 6.0.1 on a Broker Monitor 6.1 ?

Thank you in advance!

regards,
Constantin

You can’t have 2 instance broker monitor on the same box.

The purpose of broker monitor to start the broker servers and to monitor those Broker Servers and if they go down re-start them for n number of times.

It wont change anything by having Broker Monitor 6.1 monitoring both 6.0.1 & 6.1 Broker servers.

Is there any specific requirements for running two version of Broker Monitor ?

-Sathish

Sathish is correct.

The Broker Monitor is designed to be backwards compatible with all older Brokers currently supported; this means that the 6.1 Broker Monitor should happily start 6.0.1 Broker Servers.

When installing the 6.1 Broker, the Installer for the 6.1 Broker Monitor will automatically replace the 6.0.1 Broker Monitor.

Cheers,

Christian Callsen, webM Broker Team

Hi,

Thank you all for your answers.

Santish there is no specific requirement for running two version of Broker Monitor, I was thinking that if there will be problems running a Broker Server 6.0.1 on a Broker Monitor 6.1 maybe I can have two borker monitors.

regards,
Constantin

Hi,

I have two different version of Broker Servers(6.1 ans 6.5) running on the same box, but serving two different applciations, is there a possible way to have two broker monitors on the same machine. The reason behind this is 1) If I want to bring one Server down for maintenance it’s stopping the other broker too. 2) At times I want only 6.1 Broker Up. We’re planning to move this architecture to our Production. Please let me know, if it is possible to do so.

Thanks and regards
Seshu

Not Possible. One broker monitor which is installed latest will control all your broker servers in that box.

Seshu,

You should not need to stop the Broker Monitor to stop a particular Broker Server. The Broker Monitor is backwards compatible with all Broker Servers back to the 3.x days. The command-line tool “broker_stop” stops a single Broker Server, but leaves all others running.

You should install 6.1, followed by 6.5 in a separate location. This should put the 6.5 Broker Monitor in charge over the Broker Servers. You can then start and stop any of the individual Broker Servers using “broker_start” and “broker_stop”. The only time you need to bring down the 6.5 Broker Monitor is if you’re going to install a 6.5 Service Pack or Fix.

But if you’re going to production, do you need both versions of the Broker there?

Regards,

Christian Callsen, webMethods Broker Team

Callsen,

if you’re going to production, do you need both versions of the Broker there?- YES
because one of the data center needs 6.1 Broker Server while the other needs 6.5 Broker Server. As you said the command-line tool broker_stop and start might not work in all the cases, like if I want to apply a fix for 6.1 I need to stop the Broker Server which apparently shuts the 6.5 Broker Server too. I think it wouldn’t be a bad idea, if webemthods can support multiple broker monitors on one box. Is there a way to change the Broker monitor port…?

Thanks and Regards
Seshu Kumar

Seshu,

I should point out that Broker 6.5 is compatible with IS version 6.1. Exactly which application needs Broker 6.1?

In your example of wanting to apply a fix to 6.1, just using broker_stop should shut down the 6.1 Broker Server, so a fix could be applied. I am aware of the fact that the Fix installation instructions probably mention shutting down the Broker Monitor. These instructions do not attempt to take a mixed-version environment into account.

Regardless of this, though: you can only run on Broker Monitor per system. The Broker Monitor’s port number can not be changed.

Regards,

The broker_stop command or server_config stop commandswill stop broker server 6.x or even earlier versions adn to my knowledge backward compatible. This will stop your broekr process that runs awbroker.exe. this will enough to apply most fixes to Broekr server. The only time you must stop broker monitor if the fix you are applying is also updating broker monitor wich means it is a broker monitor fixa s well as it may be broker fix. Normal Broker fixes only replace awbroker.exe file updating your broker server.

Hi,

as most BrokerCore-Fixes are rolling up all earlier Fixes they will always affect the BrokerMonitor as well. But this is only true for the installation hosting the BrokerMonitor. This means that in the case you are updating your BrokerMonitor-Environment (normally the newest platform version, i.e 6.5), you will have to stop all BrokerServers and the BrokerMonitor, which is hosting these BrokerServers.
Otherwise you should be able to stop only the affected BrokerServer.

Regards,
Holger

Holger,

You’re correct above in what applying fixes means. I should point out that unless we need to explicitly fix the Broker Monitor executable, we try not to deliver a new executable version of it in new Fixes or SPs.

Cheers,

I am trying to install version 7.1 on windows vista ultimate. The installer is stalled when creating broker monitor.

When I try to install with out Broker, the installation completed succesfully.

Is one one come across this issue?

If you would want to keep your environment simpler, what you want to really do is just upgrade your 6.1 broker to 6.5, IS and other broker clients should be able to still use it as is.