ModuleInstance.getCursor() - can it be public?

X-Application Version: 3.1.1
Tamino Version : 3.1.1
Platform : Win2k
WebContainer : Iplanet 6
JDK Version : 1.3.1_02

I would like to populate the values of some fields when the value of a select box changes.

However these fields (as well as the select box) are elements of a sequence in Tamino with multiplicity.

So, in order to formulate the names of the input fields, I would need access to the ModuleCursor for the node.

However, the getCursor() method of ModuleInstance is protected. Is it possible to make this public, or is there some other way I could do this?

Thanks,
Puny Sen

Maybe you can get along without getCursor().
Use
ModuleInstance.getDocument
to obtain an instance of you document and
BusinessDocument.getDescendant
to access the node you want to modify.

Note that the Java API in X-Application 3.1.2
include quite a few changes, e.g. the
ModuleInstance class was replaced by
SessionContext. You might want to upgrade before
digging into the APIs …

Michael

Software AG Germany, Darmstadt

Thanks.

Upgrading to X-Application 3.1.2, I was able to retrieve the element action string (requestContext.getElementAction()),which contains the cursor position.

A general question to the X-Application team -
do you envision that the API will continue to change significantly in future versions?

Hello,

we will continue to improve the API with additional functionality. This might imply changes on the API. Nevertheless we try to keep the API stabil. In any case changes will be documented in the changelog (old and new usage for typical use cases).
Normally we will anounce major changes in the Discussion Forum (the next days we plan to announce our mid term strategy there). This way you can foresee the impact on your implementation.
Don´t hesitate to use the API or change the sources if it solves your problem. This is why we release the source code.

Regards, Harald