JDBC flow service: debugging gives different outcome from executing

I’m using IS 6.1 and JDBC Adapter 6.0.3. I have a flow service that loops over a document list, calls a Java service to create a ‘unique’ key value, and uses a JDBC adapter insert service to insert a record into a table for each item in the list.

When I trace or step through the service, it completes with no errors. When I execute the service some of the inserts fail because of a primary key violation reported by the SQL Server database:

678 Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint ‘PK_OrderItem’. Cannot insert duplicate key in object ‘dbo.OrderItem’."

I’m attempting to use my generated value as the primary key. Yes, I realize that it would be preferable to let the database generate it, but I inherited the process and it would be a significant effort to change it. Anyway, when I log the values during service execution, sure enough the values are not updating/resetting prior to insert. When I debug, they are.

I’ve tried numerous tactics to clear the old value from the pipeline after each iteration

1. Using the java service as a transformer and as a separate flow step
  2. Mapping the key to a variable and mapping the variable to the document and dropping it after the insert (in a separate MAP step even).
  3. Mapping the key to a variable and mapping the variable directly to the adapter service input and dropping it after the insert.
  4. Inserting a clearPipeline step after the insert and only preserving necessary objects
  5. Altering the Java service to attempt to find and destroy any existing key value before inserting the new value into the pipline

I have also tried numerous small variations on the above. As I say, this is difficult to solve since it doesn’t happen when debugging. Oh, I also understand that the explicit transaction steps don’t behave correctly when stepping or tracing, as different threads could execute different steps, compromising the transactional integrity. Also doesn’t matter if I enable or disable those steps.

I feel I am overlooking something obvious. Any ideas?

How does the Java service allocate the “unique” key? Does it use some persistent storage (e.g. JDBC or pub.storage:get/put), or a clock-based value?