Jdbc Adapter Connection Issue

I’m trying to create a connection and have entered all the necessary information, but I keep receiving this error. I’ve tried creating connections with different connections, reinstalling the Oracle database, and placing the necessary jars, but the problem persists.
Additionally, sometimes after 1000 attempts, I succeed once and the connection is immediately enabled again. I would appreciate any assistance.

Error encountered

[ART.118.5011] Adapter Runtime (Connection): Unable to create new connection JDBC_Connection.connection:OracleDatabase. [ADA.1.204] Cannot connect to the database with DataSource class “oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionPoolDataSource”. Listener refused the connection with the following error: ORA-12519, TNS:no appropriate service handler found The Connection descriptor used by the client was: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(PORT=1521)(HOST=localhost))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=XE)))

Hi Manikanta,

please provide your IS version, JDBC Adapter version, Database Version and Driver version.
Any Fixes applied to IS and JDBC Adapter?

Are you able to connect to the database with another client, i.e. Oracle SQL Developer?


1 Like

My gut feeling is that this the first point to check.

What is your OS? Have you checked that the DB is actually listening on the port?

What IP address does localhost point to? Some Linux distros do funny changes to /etc/hosts out-of-the-box.

Hi Christoph,

in this case it might be a good idea to try with explicit address.


Probably the db server you created on localhost is not configured properly. From the screenshot, looks like you are using 10.X (probably 10.15) and you are probably using 10.3 jdbc adapter. If you have provided the correct JDBC drivers, it should connect.

Test the DB with another client as Holger mentioned and share the connection details if you can successfully connect with another client.


Hi @Holger_von_Thomsen,

I’ve included the necessary information you requested; please study it.

IS version = 10.15
JDBC Adapter version = 10.3
Database Version = (Oracle Database 10g Express Edition)
Any Fixes applied to IS and JDBC Adapter =I recently changed my licence key, however the problem persisted even before. I’m connecting to my local Oracle database using this URL.

Manikanta Anisetti.

Try connecting using the same port. You tested with a different protocol. Port 8080 can be functional while 1521 is disabled somewhere.

Hi @engin_arlak
I tried port 8080 as you suggested, however a new issue has arisen, which I have attached a screenshot of.

Port 8080 is not used for the DB itself but the web application stuff.

Have you checked that something is running on port 1521?

Is there anything in the log files of Oracle?

Can you connect with other tools (esp. sqladmin or Oracle Developer)?

It is really important that you do these checks!

Run the netstat command:
Type netstat -ano | findstr :<YourPortNumber> and press Enter.
Replace <YourPortNumber> with the port number you want to check.

For example, the default Oracle port is usually 1521, so you would type netstat -ano | findstr :1521

it will make sure which port is used for what purpose.

I recommended testing 1521 port from another client, not the other way around.

This is the key part of the error. Focus on resolving this and getting any client tool (SQL Developer, TOAD, SQL*Plus, etc.) to connect. Something seems to be amiss with listener.ora, sqlnet.ora or tnsnames.ora files. Once one of those tools is working, then you can focus on the adapter connection pool.

1 Like

yes its was connected to Oracle Edition in my system and successfully created Data users in it.

Additionally, Yes something running at port 1521

This error is coming from oracle DB. I did a quick search. Most of them indicate it is a DB configuration problem. Check the links below, they might help. I don’t think it is a JDBC adapter issue though.

This may have applicable info:

May need to use “Other Properties” to set the service name instead of using “Database Name” and the SID. May be able to use URL notation:


Empty the database name field, and in other properties specify: ServiceName=XE
If ServiceName=XE doesn’t work, try with SID=XE

See https://empower.softwareag.com/sl24sec/SecuredServices/document/java/wmsuite10-3/DataDirect_Connect/5-1-4_DataDirect_Connect_Users_Guide.pdf, page 319.