[ISS.0088.9112] An Exception was thrown in the server:java.io.EOFException: Connection closed by rem

Hi Team,

We are facing the below issue intermittently when IS is posting messages via http to an external provider. We are using REST services with OAUTH 1.0.

[ISS.0088.9112] An Exception was thrown in the server:java.io.EOFException: Connection closed by remote host.

The external provider has recently disabled SSLV3 at their end due to poodle vulnerability.
Currently the communication is happening using TLSv1.0. The cipher suite used is SSL_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA.

Our Server Details:
Product webMethods Integration Server
Version 9.5.1.0
Updates IS_9.5_SP1_Core_Fix4
Build Number 202
SSL Strong (128-bit)

Update your server to IS_9.5_SP1_Core_Fix5 at least together with the related SCG_9.5_SP1_Entrust_Fix.

After that you can configure your IS to try to connect with TLS-Protocol only.

Search for the appropriate Knowledgebase Article in Empower.

I wished SAG would update the Security Advisory accordingly but this did not happen yet.

Here is the relevant section of the readme:

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

Hi Holger,
Thanks for your reply…

We have other outbound request using SSLv3 as well.
So I have set the below properties to sslv3 and tls respectively…

• watt.net.ssl.client.handshake.minVersion=sslv3

• watt.net.ssl.client.handshake.maxVersion=tls

Post the abive changes, I did check the SSL logs in the IS. Connections were happening with SSLv3.1 nothing but TLS1.0 as per my understanding.

Now, I am getting “Connection closed by remote host” intermittently.
Do you mean to say that I can get rid of this error by updating the below fix levels?
IS_9.5_SP1_Core_Fix5 at least together with the related SCG_9.5_SP1_Entrust_Fix.

Hi Rahul,

you definitely will have to apply these fixes, otherwise these settings wont work at all.

You should be save to allow only TLS-Protocols for outbound (client) connections as long as there are no servers which do not yet support TLS.

In this case you should encourage the partner to updated their servers accordingly.

I have all 6 settings mentiond in the readme set to allow only TLS protocols and we did not encounter any issues with our partners so far.

Regards,
Holger

1 Like