IntegrationServer 8.0 SP2 not starting on RHEL 5 64 bit

A clean installation of IntegrationServer 8.0 SP2 fails to start on a RHEL 5.4 64-bit host (a clean installation of the same starts properly on RHEL 5.4 32-bit).

I went through the installation using the latest SoftwareAGInstaller80SP2.jar, selecting the Embedded Database - as I need to setup the dedicated Oracle tables after the fact. The installation completes without issue, but when I attempt to execute the default /$IS_HOME/bin/server.sh I receive the following error in server.log and startup terminates:

2009-12-17 10:15:10 MST [ISS.0095.9998C] AuditLogManager Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.lang.StringBuffer.<init>(StringBuffer.java:103)
    at com.wm.app.b2b.server.AuditLogManager.getHostAndPort(AuditLogManager.java:763)
    at com.wm.app.b2b.server.audit.config.AuditConfigurator.createAuditConfigFile (AuditConfigurator.java:963)

It seems that the embedded Derby database isn’t/can’t be created on a 64-bit host. When I started-up the IS on RHEL 32-bit I saw the Derby setup echoed to System.out; I don’t see any of this output in RHEL 64-bit. Is this a known limitation of the embedded system? Is there some other documented issue/workaround for running IS 8.0 SP2 on RHEL 64-bit (it is listed as compatible in the webMethods System Requirements 8.x.pdf so I was surprised to run into this issue.

/jonathan

To answer myself:

After beating my head on this for another day, it dawned on me to run ‘ping hostname’ from a shell. Sure enough. although hostname was correct, ping failed because it couldn’t resolve the hostname. For some reason, even though I modified the hostname in the RHEL administrative gui, the /etc/hosts file wasn’t updated. After adding the hostname as an alias for localhost (since these VMs aren’t in DNS yet) everything started working properly. Oops.

/jonathan

S34GULL: Thank you for your insight.

I was getting same error and could not figure out why.
Same clean installation and first startup and the below appeared

2014-05-16 04:47:54 MYT [ISS.0095.9998C] AuditLogManager Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.lang.StringBuffer.<init>(StringBuffer.java:103)
        at com.wm.app.b2b.server.AuditLogManager.getHostAndPort(AuditLogManager.java:774)
        at com.wm.app.b2b.server.audit.config.AuditConfigurator.createAuditConfigFile(AuditConfigurator.java:977)
        at com.wm.app.audit.impl.AuditConfigUtil.createAuditConfigFile(AuditConfigUtil.java:116)
        at com.wm.app.audit.impl.AuditConfigUtil.ensureConfigFilesExist(AuditConfigUtil.java:52)
        at com.wm.app.b2b.server.AuditLogManager.init(AuditLogManager.java:512)
        at com.wm.app.b2b.server.Server.initAuditLogManager(Server.java:830)
        at com.wm.app.b2b.server.Server.run(Server.java:357)

2014-05-16 04:47:54 MYT [ISS.0014.0005I] Shutting down server. Shutting Down...

Adding the hostname (output from ‘uname -n’) in line /etc/hosts for the 127.0.0.1 resolved it.

Now another error showed up that i need to figure out why:

2014-05-16 07:01:46 MYT [ISS.0095.9998C] AuditLogManager Exception: com.wm.util.coder.InvalidDatatypeException: [ISC.0076.9009] Root element is null
com.wm.util.coder.InvalidDatatypeException: [ISC.0076.9009] Root element is null
        at com.wm.util.coder.XMLCoder.decode(XMLCoder.java:280)
        at com.wm.util.coder.Coder.readFromFile(Coder.java:149)
        at com.wm.app.b2b.server.audit.config.ISAuditConfigurator.load(ISAuditConfigurator.java:62)
        at com.wm.app.b2b.server.audit.config.ISAuditConfigurator.init(ISAuditConfigurator.java:76)
        at com.wm.app.b2b.server.audit.config.AuditConfigurator.init(AuditConfigurator.java:407)
        at com.wm.app.b2b.server.AuditLogManager.init(AuditLogManager.java:514)
        at com.wm.app.b2b.server.Server.initAuditLogManager(Server.java:830)
        at com.wm.app.b2b.server.Server.run(Server.java:357)

Check if you have WmRepositoryX under /IntegrationServer. Take a backup and delete the WmRepositoryX and restart the IS.

Let me know the results.

To answer to my own question and error, I found the answer on some other topic in the forum.

the key line is readFromFile.

So it happen that after fresh instalation of IS, the files:

are empty and with zero size. Solution si… to find a working IS and copy the files from there.Then IS will start just fine.

One more side note, if you want your IS accessible from the network, you will need to open the 5555 port in the firewall. Add this rule to “/etc/sysconfig/iptables”

and restart iptables.

I run into these issue as both the OS (Centos 6.5) and IS were freshly installed. Hope this saves you some time.