Integration Server clustering

Is it mandatory to use Oracle Coherance, Terracotta or any other cache software for Integration Server Clustering?

If we don’t need any cache software, then how we can manage the session management in Integration Server (failover).

Please help!

Yes… Cache type either Coherence or Terracotta is mandatory to make use of IS Clustering. You will find that option when you enable clustering.

You can use some Load balance to split & forward requests between different servers, however this wont maintain sessions between both the servers.

HTH
Senthil

Thanks for the reply Senthil!
In this case, when we configure the clustering, does webMethods IS automatically installs the cache software (Oracle Coherence) or we need to specify this at the time of installation?
Just trying to create the pre-requisite documents for setup and configuration of 8.2 IS in cluster mode.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Shrinivas

In this case, when we configure the clustering, does webMethods IS automatically installs the cache software (Oracle Coherence) —>YES by default it comes with Coherence and wit Terracotta you need separate licensing:

HTH,
RMg

Thanks RMg,
That’s a great help!

you bet:

Hi RMg,

Continuing the discussion on the cluster, if we go for IS Cluster across two different geo locations, will that be recommeded?
I mean, in that case the risk would be to share the repository (disk storage for session management, cache s/w - oracle coherence) across two geo locations.
To make the Integration Server continuous available (compare to high availability) across two geo location, would it be a good suggestion to have IS in cluster?

Please suggest.

Thanks,
Shrinivas

So you mean one of your IS’s hosted in different locations/geo network paths with DNS differrently?

In this case I don’t know how configuration works/dealt with if the IS across two geo locations in the cluster and talk with each other:

But a good question to start discussion with:

Hi RMg,

Thanks for showing interest to my question, which leads to help me :slight_smile:
giving you a brief, in one geo location, I am recommending to have the IS in cluster, at the same time this location is load balanced with other geo location with the identical setup.
Looking at the continuous availability of the Integration Servers I am thinking, if we can bring all the IS in cluster across the geo location.
I am not sure though, whehter it is recommended by SAG to have IS in cluster across the geo location. So trying to get expert’s opinion.
This will definitly point questions to the shared disk storage for cache management in terms of the cluster and other resources.

Thanks & Regards,
Shrinivas

AFAIK, you do not need to share the physical cache files between different servers but the cache files need to be same (including the cache configurations) across all the servers. For TSpace, each server can have a local copy of it and it need not be identical.

Cheers,
Akshith

Thanks Akshith!
Well, in that case, so when we configure the cluster in wM IS 8.2, the discovery address and the port used for cluster configuration is used locally for each node?
and the cache software (Oracle coherence in our case) will synchronize the cache files across all the nodes belonging to the cluster.
Is my understanding correct.

Regards,
Shrinivas

Well that’s my understanding too but may be Rama or someone else can confirm this. The last time i worked on clustering was in 7.1.2 using the Oracle Coherence and since then have not been up to date on this concept on 8.x platform.

Cheers,
Akshith

Yes thanks Akshith…you brought up a valid point and notes:

Thanks RMG!
This gives me lot of understanding towards the clustering.
Please expect more queries from my end!
:slight_smile:

When you saw, two ISes in two different Geo location, are they under the same LAN/WAN network… ? In general, how do you access the IS in different location? Are you using any separate VPN to connect to another geo location?

-Senthil

I believe it should be in the same LAN/WAN for DNS (Discovery Address) to work right?

Yes, also the muticast option should be enabled, at least in 7.1.2.

Well, in that case, so when we configure the cluster in wM IS 8.2, the discovery address and the port used for cluster configuration is used locally for each node? – YES

Yes ,it is the same case with 8.2.Multicast cast should be enabled and clustered ISs should be member of this group using same discovery address and port.

True, but maintaining IS login sessions between the nodes of the cluster is almost never needed. Configuring the LB device to connection affiinity to a specific server in the cluster is usually more than sufficient (when needed).