Learn how to set up an integration to receive a Slack or Cisco Webex Teams message for newly created GitHub issues with this step-by-step webMethods.io Integration workflow tutorial.
- GitHub account
- Slack account or Cisco Webex Teams account
- Login to your webMethods.io Integration tenant or sign up for a free trial if you’re new.
- Create a new project or choose an existing one.
- Go ahead and get started by creating a blank workflow. If you need a refresher on how to get to this point, this guide can be a great introduction.
- Click on the small setting icon on the Start step and choose the GitHub trigger.
Select New Issue as a trigger and complete the authorization – connect webMethods.io Integration with your GitHub account and choose one of your repositories.
Click Save. You should see the test trigger window.
To test your trigger, you need to perform the trigger action. Open your GitHub repository page and create an issue.
Go back to the webMethods.io Integration workflow and click Test. You should see the output data from the trigger which webMethods.io Integration will use to configure and test the rest of the workflow. Click Done.
- You can now proceed with setting up the notification step – choose the app that best works for you, for example:
5.1. Add the Slack connector to the canvas with the drag and drop feature. This automatically connects with the GitHub trigger.
A screenshot of a browser window
Click on the small settings icon on the Slack connector, select Post Message to Channel as action and complete the authorization – connect webMethods.io ntegration with your Slack account.
Now you can proceed with the action configuration – choose the Slack channel type and then type the channel ID where you want to post a message. Type the message body – use the Incoming data panel to include repository information received from the trigger output.
Click Next and then Done.
5.2. Add the Cisco Webex Teams connector to the canvas with the drag and drop feature. This automatically connects with the GitHub trigger.
Click on the small settings icon on the Cisco Webex Teams connector, select Post new message as action and complete the authorization – connect webMethods.io Integration with your Cisco Webex Teams account.
Now you can proceed with the action configuration – choose the Space ID where you want to post the message. Type the message body – use the Incoming data panel to include repository information received from the trigger output.
Click Next and then Done.
- Connect the Slack connector to the Stop step
or the Cisco Webex Teams connector:
Don’t forget to save your workflow.
You can now run the workflow using the play button in the right upper corner and review the result. If you have configured the workflow correctly, you should see the newly created message in your Slack channel or your Cisco Webex Teams space:
Now every time a new issue is created in your GitHub repository, a new Slack/Cisco Webex Teams message will be automatically posted in your Slack channel or Cisco Webex Teams space. Please note that this may take some time.
- At the bottom-left corner of the screen you can find the Execution history of the workflow:
From here you can monitor the execution status and view error details if needed: