installing portlets

What are steps involved in installing external portlets into MWS.

I tried dropping the file into the webMethods\MWS\server\default\deploy directory - I see in the log that blogportlet.war that I have complains about java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/iplanet/sso/SSOException

so it seems it might not be jsr 168 complaint as it mentions but I tried googlegadget.war (http://palab.blogspot.com) and it says
2009-02-04 14:35:58 PST (Framework : INFO) - Installing: googlegadgets.war (100%) …
2009-02-04 14:36:04 PST (org.seasar.struts.validator.S2ValidatorPlugIn : INFO) - Loading validation rules file from ‘/WEB-INF/validator-rules.xml’
2009-02-04 14:36:06 PST (org.seasar.framework.container.factory.SingletonS2ContainerFactory : INFO) - Running on [ENV]product, [DEPLOY MODE]Cool Deploy
2009-02-04 14:36:06 PST (Framework : INFO) - Web Application initialized: Google Gadgets Portlet
2009-02-04 14:36:06 PST (Framework : INFO) - registerPortletApplication: googlegadgets
2009-02-04 14:36:06 PST (Framework : FATAL) - [POP.001.0002] A “javax.xml.bind.UnmarshalException” occurred with the Message “at com.webMethods.portal.schema.web.impl.runtime.SAXUnmarshallerHandlerImpl.startElement(SAXUnmarshallerHandlerImpl.java:122)”

Any help would be appreciated

I see a tutorial out there for google gadgets but it is CAF implemented:
http://www.ajax-softwareag.com/articles/CZMPJZ/GoogleGadgets_doc/gadgets_overview.html

Is there a standard way to get any of the portlets into MWS? And is there a timeline on getting onboard to jsr 286?

I think you are on the right track.

For MwS 7.x, the web.xml file in the portlet war must use the servlet 2.3 schema. The error you got deploying the googlegadgets.war were probably due to that problem.

If the web.xml does not have the webapp 2.3 DOCTYPE, then it would need to be ported back to the servlet 2.3 structure.

In the next release of MwS, support for servlet 2.4 and servlet 2.5 is added.

I created the view to the GoogleGadget portlet - but how do I incorporate that into being viewable from MWS - portlet would seem like where this should land but it isn’t in the portlets folder and I can’t find unless it gets buried somewhere else.

Also - trying to add a GoogleCalendar(not the GoogleCalanderView) and i keep digging in the scroll of tools(or communications) and can’t find it - is there a manual way of putting the code into the view for googleCalendar such as referencing the url when you view content of googlecalendar?

Is there any other portlets people have used externally?

You can access a default portlet instance of the portlet using following url:

/portlet/___ (all lowercase)

Or you can create a page in MWS (for example under Public Folders), then edit this page to add your portlet.

As for Google gadgets yes all you need to include is some raw HTML/Javascript, you can do it by using simple AZ Text control with Escape property set to “false”

So from the MWS editor page - what do I drop in there and point to that is it a basic link or relative link or something else?

If this is a JSR-168 application, then MwS should have created a new portlet category automatically. The name of the portlet category would match the value of the element of the web.xml file inside the war file.

In the page editor, if you drill into the portlet category there should be an item for each portlet declared in the portlet.xml that you can drag/drop onto your page.

Right - so from the google gadgets sample provided by http://www.ajax-softwareag.com/articles/CZMPJZ/GoogleGadgets_doc/gadgets_overview.html it doesn’t create such portlet under there which is what I am asking why doesn’t it or is there something else that I have to do to be able to see it ?

If you are following the instructions from the SDK site, it is describing how to use the google gadgets in a standalone web application (not a portlet). The instructions for viewing the gadget in that use case are @ http://www.ajax-softwareag.com/articles/CZMPJZ/GoogleGadgets_doc/gadgets_step7.html#1094364

If you want a portlet, you would need to add one to your portlet application in Designer, and then use the same technique described in Step 5 to add the gadget control to the portlet default.view file.