How to specify target when savingcompiling a java service

I have to use a package on an earlier version of java so I was wondering if I could save/compile the package with the -target option ?

If I’m only saving, I’m getting a UnsupportedClassVersionError.

I assume you understand that saving within Developer results in a compile on the server.

I’ve never tried this but it seems like it should work if you modify the watt.server.compile property in server.cnf. Use the “Extended” settings in Administrator to make the change. This should cause all subsequent saves/compilations to use the -target option.

But this begs the question: if the package is going to need to run on an earlier version of Java (implying that your IS will be running in that version) then shouldn’t your dev IS be using that version too? But perhaps I’m reading too much into your question.

Thanks for your reply.
I do know that saving is compiling.
I have also found where to add the -target under the server.cnf watt.server.compile. Thanks.

For your question. It is for tests servers. One of our test IS is running jvm1.5 and another is running 1.4 so we have to try if we can downgrade from 1.5 to 1.4. It seems it can’t. we are seeing Missing class errors and UnsupportedClassVersionError…

You might seriously consider switching the machine running jvm 1.5 to 1.4.2 since I don’t think 1.5 is officially supported yet. The Install Guide (dated Oct 2005) says 1.4.2 is required.