How to onboard devices in bulk in Cumulocity IoT platform?

What product/components do you use and which version/fix level are you on?

I am using Cumulocity IoT (Release 10.13.0)

Is your question related to the free trial, or to a production (customer) instance?

Free Trial

What are you trying to achieve? Please describe it in detail.

I have a use case where I need to onboard devices in bulk and count can go upto 1 million devices.

Can anyone guide me is there any way where using any Template we can onboard devices in bulk?

Bulk registration is possible by uploading a CSV file:
https://cumulocity.com/guides/users-guide/device-management/#bulk-device-registration

Hi Harald_Meyer,

Thanks for the information!

I have gone through the documentation you mentioned, but this is for bulk registration to get new device credentials. It doesn’t create any record in Device Management-> All Devices.

I want to create devices under All devices in bulk.

Hi, this process offers a “Simple” and a “Full” registration. You have to use the latter. In that case also the devices will be created.

Thanks Harald Meyer,

I am able to create device credential and device in bulk using Bulk upload option from cumulocity device management application. Also, if i try to upload the same csv again ,it gives proper error how many records failed and why.

But when I tried the same with the using REST API “devicecontrol/bulkNewDeviceRequests” for the onboarding device in bulk. Success message received hhtpcode 201 but nothing return in response body.
Also, when i upload the same csv again without changing any content then again it gives http code 201 instead of error. However, nothing got updated in the device data but it didn’t give any error.

I believe the behaviour from UI and API should be same.Do you have any feedback?
Attaching csv for reference.

ID;CREDENTIALS;TYPE;NAME;ICCID;IDTYPE;PATH;SHELL;authType
id_101;hummingi@2357617;c8y_device;Device_101;1121111;c8y_serial;Test;BASIC
id_102;humming@2356617;c8y_device;Device_102;1111111;c8y_serial;csv_device;BASIC
id_103;humming@2355617;c8y_device;Device_103;1111111;c8y_serial;Test;BASIC
id_104;humming@2358617;c8y_device;Device_104;1111111;c8y_serial;Test;BASIC

You need to set the Accept header to “application/json” to get the statistics as a response. Otherwise you will get an empty response.

Thanks a lot Harald Meyer.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.