How to create an android app and own app store

Product/components used and version/fix level:

Cumulocity IoT(Free trial)

Detailed explanation of the problem:

Hi everyone,

I have two questions.

(1)
I’m considering using an Android device as an IoT device. Are there any libraries or SDKs for Android devices similar to thin-edge-io?

(2)
I want to create my own app store on Cumulocity IoT. Can I register and download an Android app on Cumulocity IoT?

Hi,

I’m considering using an Android device as an IoT device. Are there any libraries or SDKs for Android devices similar to thin-edge-io?

I have to admit there is no dedicated SDK for Android. However, we can offer two libraries you can use as a REST client for Kotlin and Java. As Android supports both languages you’re free to decide. We are internally using the Kotlin client for our mobile applications.

The clients are available as open-source projects on GitHub:

I want to create my own app store on Cumulocity IoT. Can I register and download an Android app on Cumulocity IoT?

Cumulocity IoT is also used to store and update device firmware. Even though I’m not aware of the App Store use case you could at least upload your APKs as a binary to Cumulocity.

Best Regards,
Jörg

3 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
I will try to create an app based on the information you provided.
If I have any questions or need further clarification, I will ask for your assistance.

1 Like

Just a small addition: It is more likely when considered an android device as an IoT device that apps deployed on that device are “Software” while AndroidOS is the “Firmware”. This of course is a design decision. Firmware you can only have one installed at the time while you can have multiple software / apps installed.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.