How to connect to the SQL DB from inside of a Java Service?

Greetings,

I have a need for implementing a complex algorithm involving multiple calls for a SQL DB that can not be resolved to a single call, so I need to be able to address the DB from inside of a Java Service.
When using this code:

String dbURL = "jdbc:sqlserver://....";  // the connection string I verified and it's valid
	Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(dbURL);

I get an error like this:

java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found for Server=…

Following various advices, I’ve added JDBC drivers to the project folder:

and also made sure that same drivers are installed on the server as this guide recommended https://documentation.softwareag.com/webmethods/adapters_estandards/Adapters/JDBC/JDBC_9-0/9-0_Adapter_for_JDBC_Install_and_Users_Guide.pdf

Yet the error persists.

I was offered to use ExecuteService template using a pre-configured connection to launch the service and use the following connection method:

java.sql.Connection conn = 	(java.sql.Connection)IDataUtil.get(pipeline.getCursor(),  
								"$db_service_connection");  

While it technically works, I’m unable to debug the Java code as it requires launching it from a TestHarness application, so I can get either data to debug with or the debugging ability itself, but not both. I would rather prefer to use the “classic” method of connection, if possible.

Thank you.