HELP! Unable to configure connection manager - JDBC adapter

We are experiencing a problem trying to enable our JDBC adapter (6.0.2.) instances using MS SQL Server 2000.
(Note: these errors only occur on our development server. We can create and enable a successful connection on a our Test Integration server and on our laptops)

The errors are:

Error encountered
[ART.118.5042] Adapter Runtime (Connection): Unable to enable connection resource xpi.xrefServices.connection:connectToDB.
[ART.118.5036] Adapter Runtime (Connection): Unable to configure connection manager.
com/wm/dd/jdbcspy/SpyLoggerForDataSource

The adapter is JDBC 6.0.2.

Here are the Connection properties:

Connection Type: JDBC Adapter Connection
Package Name: JDE_XRef

Connection Properties

Transaction Type: NO_TRANSACTION
DataSource Class: com.microsoft.jdbcx.sqlserver.SQLServerDataSource
serverName: AUG-SQL70
user: wmxrefuser
password ******
databaseName: wmxref
portNumber: 1433
networkProtocol: just blanks
Other Properties: ServerName=AUG-SQL70\AUGSSQL12;selectMethod=cursor

Connection Management Properties

Enable Connection Pooling true
Minimum Pool Size 1
Maximum Pool Size 10
Pool Increment Size 1
Block Timeout (msec) 1000
Expire Timeout (msec) 1000

NOTE: we have the MS SQL 2000 errors in the Integration Service lib\jars folder and we see them in the CLASSPATH.

Here’s the “About” information for our Integration Server:

Server Environment
Java Version 1.3.1_09 (47.0)
Java Vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java Home C:\jdk1.3.1_09\jre
Java Classpath C:\jdk1.3.1_09\jre\lib\rt.jar
C:\jdk1.3.1_09\jre\lib\i18n.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\proxy.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\system\mIcons.zip

Server Classpath C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\updates\IS_6-0-1_SP2.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\classes\
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\server.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\client.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\mail.jar
C:\webMethods6\common\lib\client60.jar
C:\webMethods6\common\lib\apiutil60.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\classes12.zip
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\jt400.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\log4j-full.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\mfapi602.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\msbase.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\mssqlserver.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\msutil.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\sl53_cj32.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\imdk\code\classes\
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmART\code\jars\static\wmartbundle.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmEDIINT\code\jars\static\ediint.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmFlatFile\code\jars\static\ffcore.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmFlatFile\code\jars\static\tspace.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmIPRoot\code\jars\static\WmIPRoot.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmItemSync\code\jars\static\WmItemSync.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmItemSyncWF\code\jars\static\WmItemSyncWF.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmJDBCAdapter\code\jars\static\javaxsql.zip
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmPKI\code\classes\
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmPRT\code\jars\static\wmprt.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmRNIF11TRP\code\jars\static\WmRNIF11TRP.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmRNIF20TRP\code\jars\static\WmRNIF20TRP.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmRNLargeDocSample\code\jars\static\WmRNLargeDocSample.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmTN\code\jars\static\tncore.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmUCCnet\code\jars\static\WmUCCnet.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmUCCnetDocuments\code\jars\static\WmUCCnetDocuments.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmUCCnetSamples\code\jars\static\WmUCCnetSamples.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmUTAPI\code\jars\static\jcert.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmUTAPI\code\jars\static\jnet.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmUTAPI\code\jars\static\jsse.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmUTAPI\code\jars\static\utapi.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmUTAPI\code\jars\static\WmUTAPI.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmUTAPI\code\jars\static\xercesImpl.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmUTAPI\code\jars\static\xmlParserAPIs.jar
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmWin32\code\classes\
C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmWSTools\code\classes\

OS Windows 2000
OS Platform x86
OS Version 5.0
Current User SYSTEM
Working Dir C:\webMethods6\IntegrationServer

We have a ticket opened with webMethods support…but have received no response yet.

Any feedback ??

Wayne

Hi. We got the fix for this problem from webMethods support.

We were getting the above error because of the parm
“watt.adapter.JDBC.JDBCLogFile” in the server.cnf file.

This problem seems specific to the Microsoft jdbc drivers because they seem to be using the merant jdbcspy classes for logging purposes but do not include those classes in the jar files they provide.

We removed the parm, restarted the server and we were able to enable our adapters.

Wayne

We are getting similar errors using JDBC Adapter 6.0.3, but not 6.0.2, and only on Windows XP (SP 1) developer workstations.

We have also encountered similar errors after upgrading from JDBC Adapter 6.0.2 to 6.0.3 and have still not received a sufficient response from Support (N.B. This ticket was opened over a month ago on (12/16/03):

After uninstalling the JDBC Adapter 6.0.2 and installing the new 6.0.3 version, I encountered the following error upon IS startup:

com.wm.pkg.art.error.DetailedServiceException: [ART.114.13] Adapter Runtime: Error occured while Adapter Runtime was loading adapter type “JDBCAdapter”.
[ART.114.9] Adapter Runtime: Error(s) while registering adapter type JDBCAdapter.
at com.wm.pkg.art.error.DetailedServiceException.create(DetailedServiceException.java:125)
at com.wm.pkg.art.error.DetailedServiceException.create(DetailedServiceException.java:116)
at com.wm.pkg.art.error.DetailedServiceException.create(DetailedServiceException.java:103)
at com.wm.pkg.art.deployment.Service.registerAdapterType(Service.java:129)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.JavaService.baseInvoke(JavaService.java:287)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.ServiceManager.invoke(ServiceManager.java:344)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.ServiceManager.invoke(ServiceManager.java:104)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.Service.doInvoke(Service.java:605)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.Service.doInvoke(Service.java:502)
at com.wm.adapter.wmjdbc.admin.Service.registerAdapter(Service.java:50)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.JavaService.baseInvoke(JavaService.java:287)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.ServiceManager.invoke(ServiceManager.java:344)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.ServiceManager.invoke(ServiceManager.java:119)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.ServiceManager.invoke(ServiceManager.java:91)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.SessionInvoke.run(Session.java:652)
at com.wm.util.pool.PooledThread.run(PooledThread.java:105)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:498)

Existing adapter connections could not be enabled. In the process of troubleshooting, I compared the WmJDBCAdapter (6.0.2) package structure from another instance to the new 6.0.3 package structure and found that javaxsql.zip were located in different directories:

• JDBC Adapter 6.0.2 instance: \webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmJDBCAdapter\code\jars\static\javaxsql.zip
  • JDBC Adapter 6.0.3 instance: \webMethods6\IntegrationServer\packages\WmJDBCAdapter\code\jars\javaxsql.zip

Further, as opposed to the 6.0.2 instance, javaxsql.zip was not being sourced in the Server Classpath (Administrator | About) on the 6.0.3 instance. However, upon duplicating the path to javazsql.zip (i.e., adding the ‘static’ directory) of the JDBC Adapter 6.0.2 instance onto the JDBC Adapter 6.0.3 instance, I was able to start IS without the above error and was able to enable the JDBC Adapter connections.

Though this ‘work-around’ seems to work for now, what is the proper JDBC Adapter 6.0.3 configuration?

The following are the Server Properties:
Version 6.0.1
Updates IS_6-0-1_SP2

Build Number 425
SSL Strong (128-bit)

Server Environment
Java Version 1.3.0 (46.0)
Java Vendor IBM Corporation
Java Home C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\jvm
Java Classpath C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\jvm\lib\rt.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\jvm\lib\i18n.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\proxy.jar

Server Classpath C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\updates\IS_6-0-1_SP2.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\classes
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\server.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\client.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\mail.jar
C:\webMethods601\common\lib\client60.jar
C:\webMethods601\common\lib\apiutil60.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\com.ibm.mq.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\com.ibm.mq.pcf.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\com.ibm.mqbind.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\connector.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\fscontext.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\jconn2.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\log4j-full.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\msbase.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\mssqlserver.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\msutil.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\rvjpro.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib\jars\sl53_cj32.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\packages\imdk\code\classes
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\packages\WmART\code\jars\static\wmartbundle.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\packages\WmFlatFile\code\jars\static\ffcore.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\packages\WmFlatFile\code\jars\static\tspace.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\packages\WmIPRoot\code\jars\static\WmIPRoot.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\packages\WmPRT\code\jars\static\wmprt.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\packages\WmRNIF11TRP\code\jars\static\WmRNIF11TRP.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\packages\WmRNIF20TRP\code\jars\static\WmRNIF20TRP.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\packages\WmRNLargeDocSample\code\jars\static\WmRNLargeDocSample.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\packages\WmTN\code\jars\static\tncore.jar
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\packages\WmWin32\code\classes
C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer\lib
.\

OS Windows 2000
OS Platform x86
OS Version 5.0
Current User frewm
Working Dir C:\webMethods601\IntegrationServer

*To date, we are still waiting for resolution to this issue.

I also have the same problem and am about to open a ticket with webMethods. I am using 6.0.2 and was about to upgrade to 6.0.3 in the vein hope that it would resolve the issue.

I’m not going to bore everyone with config params, classpaths etc as I have checked all this and they’re fine (and it really doesn’t help anyone).

I just wanted to record that I am affected and if I find a solution, I’ll be sure to post it here.

webMethods 6 ship with ibm 1.3 jvm. However, this jvm seems to have some conflict with the microsoft jdbc driver for sql 2000. you should be able to solve the issue by using a third party driver.

alternatively, replace the built-in jvm, \IntegrationServer\jvm, with sun jvm. I am using sun jvm 1.4.2. but i think sun jvm 1.3.x should work as well.

We are also facing the same problem. We are using Windows XP on development machines and using IS6.1, JDBC adapter 6.0.3. The SQLServer is on Windows2003(SP3)

Please let me know the if you have a solution.

Thanks in advance,
Sateesh

This issue appears to be resolved upgrading to v6.0.3 of the adapter and changing the IS JVM to 1.4.2.

I am now using IS 6.1 with JVM 1.4.2 and v6.0.3 of the adapter and it’s working fine.

Regards

Andy Withers
Solutions Architect
Glue:

We too have had the above problems when moving to JDBC 6.0.3 and following the instructions on moving javaxsql.zip we are now working fine. But I would prefer not to have to move files around and instead install suns jvm 1.4.2. But before I go ahead and do this I would like to know if this JVM is supported now (read somewhere that is was not)? I am also a little bit confused (not hard) on how to upgrade from IBM’s jvm 1.3.0 to Sun’s JVM. We are running the integration server V6.0.1 as a windows service.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tony Mundy
Sc Johnson EurAFNE

My problem was also solved my moving javaxsql.zip to the static folder.

We too have had the above problems, but on Universal Database “udb db2 8.1.3”
an other error when configuring the IS Core Audit Log Manager, Process Audit Log Manager and the “Key Cross Referencing and Echo Suppression” is : No Suitable Driver

the initialization errors:
JDBCConnectionManager: initialization failed for Xref functional alias
AuditLogManager Initialization failed, no JDBC connection pool
our jdbcDriver: COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2DataSource
Any help greatly appreciated.

your problem is not related to the JDBC adapter

you need to set up the JDBC connection pools of your server using the administration screen, probably you have set up the server to log to the database without a proper configuration of the JDBC pools

you can undo the logging to the database by setting the server parameter watt.server.auditStore=local

this is explained into detail in the administration guide for 6.0.1 and in the logging guide for 6.1

hope this helps you out