Giving user access to view only specific application

What product/components do you use and which version/fix level are you on?

latest

Is your question related to the free trial, or to a production (customer) instance?

free trail

What are you trying to achieve? Please describe it in detail.

We are trying to give the permission for the user to access the specific application that is hosted on cumulocity IoT. We don’t want the user to see the cockpit or the adminstritive applications on cumulocity. We were unable to achieve this by the Roles option given in the cumulocity. Is there a procedure to restrict the user only to access the specific application?.
Can we also host the application we built using application builder on another sever?

Do you get any error messages? Please provide a full error message screenshot and log file.

Have you installed all the latest fixes for the products and systems you are using?

Cumulocity has the concept of users and roles. You can define roles in the Administration section under Accounts. Roles are basically a set of permissions such as Read/Write/Create/Update on certain API Endpoints but also which Application they are allowed to use:

Users can be assigned to roles. With that concept you can influence what users can see. If you create a user that has no role with the application access to cockpit, this user can not see the cockpit etc.

3 Likes

If you need to give access to application created using application builder, then you need to select application builder and your custom app both from “application access” section while assigning role to application(refer above screenshot shared my @Murat_Bayram)

If you would like to host app created using application builder to another server then you need to install application builder in your target server first and then you can migrate app using Cumulocity Migration Tool.

1 Like

Hi Murat

the mentioned approach works !
However i am not given more choices of applications that i have created to be able to select as default application as shown below

The name of the application that i want to select is “Customer Demo” which is available in list but not in the list of “default application”

Am i missing something ?

Hi

Also ,when my application type is External and i have only assigned that application to the role as below

AND i do not have others rights given to the user
THEN I do not see this application in Default Application
AND if i try to directly use the URL to login then it forbids my access

Can confirm, Default Application are not working with Application Builder Apps.
@Darpankumar_Lalani Is this as intended?

Can also confirm that external Applications can not be used as default application.
I guess this is as intended @Tristan_Bastian or @Jan_Hommes?

Hi,
You can create two types of app with application builder:

1. Without providing context path(default).
  2. With context path

If your app (customer-demo) created with option 1 then your app will not be visible in default application list. Since its running in application builder context.
If you grant application access to “application builder” and “Customer-demo” then you can access your app via URL
for example, https://myurl.com/apps/app-builder/index.html#/application/appId
You can select “application builder” as default application in this case.

If your app created using option 2, then your app will be visible in default app list, and you can access app like any other cumulocity app.
For example: https://myurl.com/apps/app-contextPath/index.html

1 Like

Thanks for the response

Yes ,I pretty much understood that part.

Now if my application is registered under application builder,is it possible to switch /migrate to option 2 ?

Regards
Harshil

The actual intention of the external apps was to point to a third party system and not to point to some Cumulocity app with a few parameters.
And entering the domain of a cumulocity tenant shouldn’t directly forward you to an external system from my point of view.

1 Like

You can use clone application feature while creating new application.

Please note that with option 2, any widget installed from widget catalog after creating app will not be available.

If you are using widgets from widget catalog, then I would suggest installing required widgets first then clone/create application with option 2.

Thanks for the response.

how and where (User Interface) to spin up existing app created under application builder and clone the existing application using Option 2 where i do not know the clone URL

Please help me with this

Duplicate of Type External only results in another spin of Type External,It does not convert it to custom app

When you add/create app using application builder, you will get that option.
see below screenshot:

1 Like

Thanks

Working well !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.