Flat File-Floating Records Implementation

Hi Team,

I want to use floating Records property in flat file schema. I have variable name AccountTypeCode, which can come at any level and in any order. Can anyone please let me know the exact syntax which I need to mention in floating Record property.

Thanks in advance…

Have your reviewed “9-XX_Flat_File_Schema_Developers_Guide”, if not review chap #3 Working with Elements in Flat File Schemas and
Dictionaries they have explained examples for both inbound and outbound parsing using floating records.

If you still have issues, pass-on your sample working package with screen shots.

Hi Mahesh,

I have gone through this chapter. But I am not able to understand what should I mention in floating record property of flat file schema. Should I mention field name or record name. Is there any format to mention it.

Second thing, Is floating record property can be used in case if record parser type is EDI docucment only ?

Hello,

The record is treated as floating if it appears anywhere in a particular file. When you are unsure of the position of the record, treat that as floating record.

Floating record concept is not limited to EDI.

Regards
Sasa

Hi,

Even I have the same doubt. Below are the steps I tried

Created a flatfile schema with ADDRESS as record , Street @ 1 , Zip code @ 2

Record delimiter is newline.
Field delimiter is comma.
Record identifier Nth position @0.

Added “ADDRESS” in floating record and created DT.

While using convert to Values I passed the below file content in the text file.

ADDRESS,Street,Zipcode

It works fine.

Then , tried as

Street,Zipcode,ADDRESS and it failed.

I am not sure what should be the text file structure for the flatfile schema I defined.

I went through the docs but I am not very clear on the explanations.

Any idea would be helpful for me to understand it correctly.

Thanks,
Sathya

Hi Sathya,

when the record identifier is the first field in the record, then it cannot be moved to the end of the record.

Is there a specific reason why the record identifier is placed at different locations in the record?

Regards,
Holger

Hi Holger,

I assumed that floating record means that record identifier can be in any place. As i said , I don’t have clear idea about it .

Can you please provide me a sample file to test floating record scenario.

Thanks,
Sathya

Hi Sathya,

please have a look at the Ftlat-File-Schema-Developers Guide.

There are some examples in the guide which show how this works.

Floating record only works fior complete records, not for single fields in the records.

Regards,
Holger

Hi Holger,

I defined three records in my flat file as below
Address
Street
Zip
Details(inside address)
Street
Zip
Information
Street
Zip

I set validate to True in convertToValues and passed the below ffData

Address,STREET1,ZIP1
Information,STREET2,ZIP2
Detials,STREET3,ZIP3

The above file has information before Details .But, the isValidate was displaying true . I didn’t not set Information as Floating record in this scenario.

Please can you help me with a sample file to test this scenario.

Thanks,
Sathya

Hi Sathya,

can you provide the generated documnet when converting the ffData?

So I assumne the following flatfile definition (the dashes represent the differnet hierarchy levels):

Adress

• Street
  • Zip
  • Details
    – Street
    – Zip
    Information
  • Street
  • Zip

If I understood the documentation correctly, the details record should be defined as a floating record.

Regards,
Holger

Hi,
I have attached the document . Also , as per documentation , I guess information can also be a floating record. PFA screenshot for the same.

Also, can you let me know how details should be defined as a floating record.

Thanks,
Sathya
document.PNG
Consider NTE as Information.PNG

Can you give me a sample flat file . I used the below

ADDRESS, sathya,1
DETAILS,sathya,1
INFORMATION,sathya,1
ADDRESS,sathya,2
INFORMATION,sathya,2
DETAILS,sathya,2