Flat File Content

To Mr. Carlson,

I’ve got a very silly question at this point: where are the tutorials? On Advantage I only found tutorials for version 4.6. Are they in the User’s Guide?

Best regards,

Frank Olsen

They hold some valuable predefined examples/flows/documentation (usersguide pdf’s).

HTH.

Go to the home page of the WmFlatFileSamples package. If you have IS installed on your local workstation that would be:

http://localhost:5555/WmFlatFileSamples/

HTH,

Mark

I am trying to parse the mainframe punch file which is of fixed length of 400 characters. I have created the flatfile Dictionary and schema. I am using the schema to parse the flatfile which contains the multiple records each of length 400 characters. while parseing using the Test tab on the Flatfile Editor from the developer, I am able to get only the first record parsed successfully. All the remaining records are not parsed and I get the “recordWithNoID” for the number of records in the flatfile.

Could you please tell me how can I solve this problem.

Thanks

Dhandapani,

Make sure in the flatfile Dictionary/Schema if “recordWithNoID” record definition under properties max Repeat set to “unlimited” or 1.
Set this option to “unlimited” for parsing multiple records.

And also check the Flatfile Definitions settings like (Record Delimiter (newline or carriagereturn or tab)depends on your sample mainframe flatfile.

HTH.

RMG,

I have not defined any record for the “recordWithNoID” in the dictionary/schema because all my records have a record identifier at position 0, the first 3 characters are record identifier in my flatfile.
I am using the mainframe punch or fixed length file for which I don’t know what would be the record delimiter.

I tried using the newline and carriage return for the release character option in the definition tab, but still I am getting the recordWithNoID with no data in it. For me it seems its not recognizing the record idtnetifier in position 0 of the record.

All my records have “unlimited” option set for the Max Repeat property except the Header record which I am able to extract.

I am using the webMethods 6.0.1

Thanks

You may have a record delimiter issue. You need to view a copy of the file on you wm server in some sort of a hex editor. On windows you can use debug or the UltraEdit text editor. If you’re on UNIX find the equivalent.

HTH

Chris,

Thank you, using Ultraedit I was able to figure out the problem.

Hi,
Currently I am working on a flatfile schema. It contains 3 record types. It can contain one header record, one trailer record and multiple details records. I have a field in trailer record called total count, which should display the total number of records( i.e. 1 header+ no. of detail + 1 trailer). Is there any logic to count no. of details records at runtime in a flatfile? Plz. send reply… Thank you…

From,
Raja sekhar.

Raj Shekar,

When creating either a Record Definition or Record Refernce in FlatFile schema there is a property called Check Fields. Set this to True and check. A variable called segmentCount will be added to that Record which gives the count.

Regards,
Kalyan

Hi Kalyan,
Thanx for the Help…

Has anyone tackled the issue of reading in a flat file with a multiple character record delimiter? I need to delimit my records based up opon three alpha characters, and I do not believe that the wMFlatFile adapter will allow for this.

Regards

If you’re using 6.X you can specify the delimiters on the Flat File Definition tab when creating the schema.

Chris, I have pretty extensive knowledge of the 6.X platform including the wMFlatFile package, delimited and fixed length parsing. However, I have a specific question regarding multiple character record delimiters in a delimited file.

example data:

M00103|01|R|1991|END K01023|52| |2000|END M00099|03| |1|END END_OF_DATA

There are three records in the string. Fields are pipe delimited. Records are 'END ’ delimited. The end of file is recognized by the string END_OF_DATA.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, in the flat file schema it will not allow a user to enter more than one character for a record delimiter.

Thank you

I believe there is no way of handling multiple Record Identifiers using the FlatFile Schema editor.

Regards,

BE77,

You can enter more than one character as the record delimiter but it only seems to pick up the first character. Maybe that’s a bug.
If it allows the entry then in theory it should process it. I would take it to Tech support.

Let us know the result.

BE77,

I would parse the file the old fashion way without using the FF adapter since it is not as flexible as needed.

You could look at it like this: If the END_OF_DATA string is present, then you know for processing sake that the file is whole (not partially written). If this is the case, then you should be able to pass the string into the string tokenizer and use the '|END ’ as a delimiter (or something close to this.

It will yield a string array of your individually pipe-delimited records. Then, you can call a child flow that breaks the string record apart into an IData record containing the fields, passing in one record at a time, receiving the IData single record that can be appended to a Document List. There are more optimized methods of coding, but this will get you to a point where you can process records.

Does this make sense??

HTH

Ray

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I appreciate it. I will probably just continue on as I started after running into this issue and use the replace flow to add a file delimiter (carriage return)after each 'END ’ and use the 'END ’ as the record ID. This simplifies the process quite a bit and allows me to use the FF parser to convert the files and perform validations.

Thank you though. If anyone hears of a method to map multiple characters into a delimiter, or, as RMG mentioned, to call multiple document identifiers for multiple records within a file, please email me.

groove81@juno.com

REGARDS

Hi, I have a Flat File Schema like as follows.

Record delimeter: !
Field Delimeter: *

And the Flat file Structure is:

Header

• AuthorizationCode
  • Deptno

I am passing the flat file(text file) while running the Flat file Schema.
The contetns of the Text file is:
Header100100!Header200100!

But i am getting errors like “[FFP.0011.0012] Unexpected element” in the error position: 2. and “isValid” is False.

If i try to give only one record as the input,that is Header100100!, it works fine. and “isValid” is True.

Can any body help me on this. Thanks

What is your RecordDefinition set to? and make sure the maxRepeat set to unlimited if there are multiple records in the flatfile.

HTH,
RMG