File Adapter Size Limit

Anybody know the size limit of the file adapter. We are trying to poll a 25Mb file using file adapter on a Solaris box which has 4 CPU’s each got 1GB of Ram. When we try to run the adapter after some time it throws the following exception "Unable to send to Broker. Error ‘java.io.IOException:Broken pipe’ some times ‘Bad File number exception’. We are running Broker 4.1.1. We bumped the Heap size up to 512 MB still the same error. No help from webMethods support.

Out of this 25MB of data we will use only 5% of data but we cant do it in batch since we need to remove duplicates from the data.

Thanks for your help.
Muru.

Hi, Muru.

I have a hunch, but need the answers to two questions:

1. Is the File Adapter running on the same machine as the Broker? [*]Is the File Adapter running on the same machine as the file you are attempting to poll?

Dan,

1. File adapter is not running on the same machine as the Broker.

2. Yes the file adapter running on the same machine as the file I am attempting to poll.

Just want to give you some more information. We did try running the adapter in the command mode it seems like the problems comes when it tries to publich the document after its moving the file pointer from incoming to completion.

Thanks,
Muru.

Hi, Muru. My hunch is confirmed!

I ran into Broken Pipe errors not too long ago on my last project. I did some healthy research on it and you can read about it if you want to. Check out [url=“wmusers.com”]wmusers.com.

There is likely a break in your data stream between the File Adapter and the Broker. What does your network topography look like? Are you on a trusted network or are you sending data through a firewall? Is there a timeout limit set on your adapter that may be shorter than the interval necessary to send 25MB of data?

This problem is a fixable one. We just need to get down to the root cause.

Dan,

The source of data is actually outside of our network, they ftp a file in to our box which is inside our network, there is a dedicated line between us and the source. In this scenario we had a break in the data stream so we decided to poll the directory only once a day. We made sure that all the data will be transfered before the poll begin. Now this problem is solved by polling only once.

Yes by default the Transaction Timeout set to 300 Seconds which I can change and try once again. Other than that all of our adapters and brokers are within our network.

Thanks,
Muru.