ERROR-060, AC-Extent space allocation failed for file 55.

I change para to ADASAV RESTORE FMOVE=55
but getting error as below

ERROR-158, Incomplete restore tape

DATA RABN 1664179 was not found on the restore tape. 
       End-Of-File occurred instead.                        

Possibly a required tape volume is missing.          

Supply a complete restore tape and rerun the job.    

Also encountered U0034 abend.

I checked volume but they are fine.

This is progress… you got past the initial check and the utility allocated space to place the file on the target database.

Now you need to make sure in your JCL that you are supplying the entire backup file. If you didn’t take the backup, please get the information from the person who did what datasets/volumes you need to restore this file.

Good luck!

ADA225: The total number of blocks assigned to the Associator & Data Storage are 314986 & 529672

File 55: (from 161)

From the information I gather, can you tell why job was abended?

pl see attached doc
Screen3.rtf (3.8 KB)

Dawar,

The information you provided does not explain the abend (I assume it’s the same abend where there were missing blocks from the backup of the file from the source database db161).

The only reason the restore job would fail is because you did not supply all the volumes required for input from the backups.

Did you supply all you needed in DDREST1? Is there a DDREST2 (or more) needed, and if so, do you provide the utility parm (DRIVES=) to have it find it? Do you override the catalog VOL=SER=(xxx) list and leave it short calling for tape mounts?

It’s hard to direct you to a specific answer without detailed knowledge of the job that took the backup and the job you are running for the restore, but this is the area you need to be looking.

Hope this helps!

I have enough space on 225.

Unused storage has Data & asso values as 386643, 243964 respectively,
Maximum blk number assigned to Associator and DATA of ADA225. (Target) are 314986, 529672 respectively.
We need following space for the file 55 (from 161, source)

Asso: 4421
Data: 1671/13

Please see SDSF output file.

thanks

RESTF161 .TXT (655 KB)

Again, you are not using FMOVE, so you can have millions of free blocks
and it still won’t help when the blocks originally allocated to the file are not available,
in fact a single block not available will cause it to fail.

Yes, I did with FMOVE

But see the output please.

ERROR-158, Incomplete restore tape

DATA RABN 1664179 was not found on the restore tap
       End-Of-File occurred instead.                     

Possibly a required tape volume is missing.       

Supply a complete restore tape and rerun the job. 

job24948.TXT (491 KB)

pl find attached jcl

jcl2restoref.rtf (1.79 KB)

You have

//DDREST1  DD DISP=OLD,DSN=SYSDBAA.TAPPS161.SAVE.G7274V00,                      
 //         VOL=SER=(532630,532800,533002,533194)                                
 //DDREST2  DD DISP=OLD,DSN=SYSDBAA.TAPPS161.SAVE.G7275V00,                      
 //         VOL=SER=(578885,532836,579139)                                       
 //DDREST3  DD DISP=OLD,DSN=SYSDBAA.TAPPS161.SAVE.G7276V00,                      
 //         VOL=SER=(532796,578957,578969,579341)    

but used are only

ADAU13 00225 VOLSER for DDREST1  = 532630                                                                               
 ADAU13 00225 VOLSER for DDREST1  = 532800                                                                               
 ADAU13 00225 VOLSER for DDREST1  = 533002                                                                               
 ADAU13 00225 VOLSER for DDREST1  = 533194      

You will need to specify DRIVES=3 to have ADASAV consider DDREST2 and DDREST3

How to specify DRIVES=3?

your meant I need to specify in the existing JCL.
I am still not very proficient.

This is the JCL you provided:

//**********************************************************************  

//* RESTORE PRODUCTION DATABASE FILE, TAPPS161, FILE  55,  TO ADA225.     
//**********************************************************************  
//*   RESTORE FILES                                                       
//*                                                                       
//PROCS    JCLLIB ORDER=(ADABAST.PROCLIB)                                 
//*                                                                       
//STEP01   EXEC ADASAV5T,DBID=225,ADADBID=ADA225                          
//DDREST1  DD DISP=OLD,DSN=SYSDBAA.TAPPS161.SAVE.G7274V00,                
//         VOL=SER=(532630,532800,533002,533194)                          
//DDREST2  DD DISP=OLD,DSN=SYSDBAA.TAPPS161.SAVE.G7275V00,                
//         VOL=SER=(578885,532836,579139)                          
//DDREST3  DD DISP=OLD,DSN=SYSDBAA.TAPPS161.SAVE.G7276V00,         
//         VOL=SER=(532796,578957,578969,579341)                   
//*                                                                
//DDCARD   DD DSN=ADABAST.COMMON.CNTRL(SAV225S),DISP=SHR           
//DDKARTE  DD *                                                    
ADASAV RESTORE FMOVE=55                                            
ADASAV BUFNO=3                                                     
ADASAV OVERWRITE                                                   
//  

Questions:

1. I notice you specify three DDRESTn DD cards, but don’t have DRIVES=3, so it will only look at DDREST1 but ignore the others. Either DDREST2 and DDREST3 are irrelevant, or you need to add DRIVES=3.

2. I notice that the three datasets for the three DDRESTn DD cards are sequential members of a GDG. That’s not typical and I find it suspicious. Usually those would be three consecutive backups, not three drives for the same backup.

3. I notice you specify VOL=SER=(tape1,tape2,…). Are you certain that your volser list for DDREST1 is all-inclusive? If you take this off, will the catalog call for all tapes in the list?

To me, number 3 is the most likely area that will fix your restore job. Try again with ADASAV RESTORE FMOVE without the VOL=SER= parm on your DDREST1 DD card.

P) I notice you specify three DDRESTn DD cards, but don’t have DRIVES=3, so it will only look at DDREST1 but ignore the others. Either DDREST2 and DDREST3 are irrelevant, or you need to add DRIVES=3.

How to add DRIVES=3 in JCL?

//DDKARTE  DD *                                                    
ADASAV RESTORE FMOVE=55                                            
ADASAV BUFNO=3     
ADASAV DRIVES=3                                                
ADASAV OVERWRITE                                                   
//                                                                 

Please read this for all the information you may need depending on your circumstances:

http://techcommunity.softwareag.com/ecosystem/documentation/adabas/ada823mfr/adamf/util/adasav-restoreFMOVE.htm#adasav-restoreFMOVE

So it is ADASAV we are looking at here and not ADALOD as I had mistakenly assumed yesterday. :frowning: I was half way through a reply suggesting trying the DRIVES parameter when I noticed the GDG generation issue. In the mean time Wolfgang & Brian have chipped in to answer that one.

Would I be right in assuming that you want to use the latest backup from prod?

If so try

//DDREST1 DD DISP=OLD,DSN=SYSDBAA.TAPPS161.SAVE(0)

Generation 0 is the newest and notice the lack of a comma at the end. You might want to comment out the DDREST2 & DDREST3 DD cards as well.

Cheers,

Graeme Lane

All of you many thanks.

Great support.
specify DRIVES=3 work for me.

Thank You

I am nearly 100% certain ADASAV would [edited but means abend] if you tried to restore a file from backups taken at different times on three different drives with DRIVES=3.

Glad it finally worked.

Only one more thing

why ADASAV RESTORE FILES=55 failed and why ADASAV RESTORE FMOVE=55 worked.

is it due to the new file in 225 (Target) DB? The file was not exist before.

How u explain

Restore Files to Any RABNs from Offline Source

thank you

• RESTORE FILES: Restore Files to Original RABNs from Offline Source
  • RESTORE FMOVE: Restore Files to Any RABNs from Offline Source

In my case I was restoring production database file, TAPPS161, file 55, to ADA225
We used the database backup files created on Mar 5, Monday. The backup job was ADSAV161. If we used RESTORE FILES, Restore Files to Original RABNs (from 161) but RESTORE FMOVE Restore Files to Any RABNs (at 225).

RABN= Relative Adabas Block Number

Basically, FILES= and FMOVE= are for providing the file list that you want to restore from the ADASAV backup into your target database. The difference between the two is:

FILES= requires that the files be restored into the exact RABN ranges they occupied when the ADASAV was taken.

FMOVE= will restore the files anywhere that space exists on the target.

Because you are not restoring from a backup taken of your target database, but another one, and because the RABN ranges used by file 55 on the source database are either occupied by another file or are otherwise not available on the target db, the FILES= option fails.