Enterprise EJB adapter how to cluster

Hi. One of our integrations (on ES 5.0.1.) uses an EJB adapter. The EJB adapter is installed on our WebSphere server.
The plan is to cluster our WebSphere servers (active/passive). If one WebSphere server fails, then the second WebSphere server will activate. Both servers will not be active at the same time.

Question: What is the recommended way to cluster the EJB adapter ? If we install the adapter on both WebSphere servers, is there a way to tell both adapters to refer to the same client queue ?
Is there a better approach to clustering adapters ?

Any thoughts ?

Regards,

Wayne

as long as both adapters have the same name and same client group they will share the same queue. as long as the cluster software can activate the standby adapter in case of failover. i use this approach to cluster mq, siebel, peoplesoft, and db adapters. they all work fine so i do not see why it would not work for ejb.

Leo, thanks very much.
Is this information in any of the webMethods documentation ? I believe what you are saying but I’d like to read about it too.

Regards,

Wayne

if you check the webMethods adapter development guide 46, under the section sharing state, and you will find the information you need. hope that helps.

Leo, thanks very much.

Here’s what I’m expecting if we have an EJB adapter on two clustered WebSphere servers:
In Adapter Manager I should see two adapters with the same names, and only one will be active at a time (since our WebSphere servers are active/passive). Both adapters will use the same client group.
Can you please clarify if I need to set anything special in the adapter settings (eg. Number of Adapter Processes) for these adapters to share the client queue ?

Regards,

Wayne

you are correct and no other special settings i used for configuration. you may try the default setting first and see it works for your case.

fyi, to create two identical adapters for two different adapter monitor processes connecting to the same broker, create the 1st adapter monitor and the adapter, enable it the first time, then disable the 1st adapter monitor process, create the 2nd adapter mon proc and the adapter, then stop the adapter mon proc. then enable and start the 1st again. adapter manager will not let you create two same adapters on two enable adapter mon processes, you have to disable one before you create another one. once all these steps are completed, you can configure the cluster software to start the 2nd adapter mon proc when failover happens.

have fun!

Sounds good Leo!

Thanks again !

Regards,

Wayne