Dynamic output for DynamicSQL JDBC adapter service

I am migrating old WmDB code to the new JDBC adapter but have a problem with dynamic SQL statements, which do not always return the same output structure (different column count and column name). In WmDB the “result” record is build dynamically by the returned data, which works perfectly for me. How do I do this with the JDBC adapter? I can not specify the output fields on design time because I do not know them.

I’m running into the same issue as ulicht is, except we’re not migrating. We are a new client and would like to do the right thing and use the JDBC adapter, but there is no way to run a query without specifying the output at design time. Doing this is essential to our project. Any insight (or tricks?) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

What do you do with the columns returned from this query? Is this just a “select * from foo” query?

Yeah, basically. We are a “software as a service” company that hosts an application for multiple clients. Each client has their own database and can add their own set of custom fields. So when we select * from CustomFieldTable, that list of fields can be different for each client (but we are doing the same thing for each client - just converting to XML and dumping it to a file).

We actually just got news from the webMethods Adapters Team management that this “dynamic output” functionality will be added to the JDBC Adapter 6.5 release scheduled for release this month:

“Currently, there is no way to do this. However, we are in the process of releasing a new version of the adapter, which will be version 6.5. In that new version you will be able to define a Dynamic SQL or Custom SQL service, specify the ‘Select SQL’ you want executed, and the resulting output will be pushed into the pipeline. I believe this feature will solve your problem. The 6.5 version of the adapter will be available on IS 6.5 SP1 or later…the functionality will be at the adapter level, not the platform level, so when the JDBC Adapter 6.5 is released in December, you should be able to use it right on your current platform, assuming you are using IS 6.5 SP1.”

Hooray!

Thanks for the update!

Be sure to reply here when you’ve had a chance to work with the 6.5 JDBC Adapter version to let us know how it looks.

Mark