Do you update Chrome version on Cumulocity IoT

Product/components used and version/fix level:

Cumulocity Production

Detailed explanation of the problem:

Hi, I am using Selenium to capture screenshots of my Chrome browser. If I update my Chrome browser, my application fails because it uses a Chrome driver to capture screenshots and needs an updated Chrome driver. I want to know, do you also update your cumulocity server Chrome browser?

Hi @Sam123,

what exactly do you mean by “cumulocity server Chrome browser”?
Cumulocity itself does not ship with Chrome.

Regards,
Tristan

Hi @Tristan_Bastian

What I mean to say is, the server where cumulocity deploys microservices, does that server updates Chrome or does it run chrome on a specific version only?

I think you’re confusing a few topics. Cumulocity IoT does not install chrome, the chrome driver is something needed on your side, where Selenium is trying to talk to the browser running on your machine.

It has been a while since I have used Selenium, but I would strongly using a more modern solution like playwright which does not use a webdriver to interact with the browser.

No I am not saying that Cumulocity Installs Chrome, what I am saying is the server where Cumulocity DEPLOYS my microservice might be using some xyz version of Chrome. Now, I want to know that does that SERVER updates chrome? OR does it run on a Specific version. If it doesn’t update then I can also point my microservice to run invoke xyz version of Chrome. Getting my point?

Also I will checkout playwright

The only interaction between Cumulocity and Chrome is that the Chrome browser can be used to access the Cumulocity UI.

See here…

Microservice are deployed in kubernetes cluster which is not running any client tools like chrome and therfor als not updating anything. Chrome is a client tool that is running on clients not on servers…

So are you saying that If my microservice uses selenium to capture images from chrome browser, it wont be able to since Kubernetes doesn’t run chrome?

Microservice deployments are container based, so any dependencies need to be provided by the microservice itself. Technically you could create a microservice where chrome is also installed inside it (along side selenium etc).

1 Like

… but of course the microservice itself needs to take care of updating it.

Okay, thank you to everyone for sharing their insights. However, I tried to work with playwright and it is working so thank you @Reuben_Miller2