Defining Descriptor

Hi All,

I have 2 questions about Descriptor:

1. If I am using some descriptor in a program, Is it necessary to define that descriptor inside define data? If no what is the reason?

2. I am reading a file for example employee file using 2 descriptors department and employee id. so internally how many inverted lists will be created?

Thanks,
Rohan.

No, because the DDM is doing that for you.

You are using two inverted lists then.

If you are using the THRU clause (or the equivalent ENDING AT) of the READ statement, then you will need to define the descriptor within the view in your program.

If you are using the THRU clause (or the equivalent ENDING AT) of the READ statement, then you will need to define the descriptor within the view in your program.

Maybe I misunderstood your question…
First of all: An inverted list has to deal with the descriptor itself. It is created during the creation of a descriptor - not during a find command. Maybe “list of ISNs” would be the correct term in your question.

If you talking about Natural’s FIND-command with 2 descriptions, you will get one list of ISNs from Adabas. Internally, Adabas creates 2 ISN-lists and merges these lists.

In fact a Natural-FIND is a combination of several ADABAS-Commands (S1-S8). For more information please see the Adabas-documentation:

http://techcommunity.softwareag.com/ecosystem/documentation/adabas/ada813mfr/adamf/comref/commands.htm#commands