Dashboard design for a lot of devices

Product/components used and version/fix level:

Cumulocity IoT 1020.296.0

Detailed explanation of the problem:

Hi,
it’s Luca from DAC System.

We need to design a dashboard to show the readings of a lot of sensors.

An example of a monitored system:

The measurements to display come from the child devices (Temp, pressure, rf…), the root doesn’t send any.
In a real system the number of child devices goes up to more than 20.

The solution should satisfy this points:

1. The dashboard is at root device level
  2. No custom widget/s development
  3. No need to scroll to read all the information

So far, we tried to use “KPI Trend” widget and “Info Gauge” but it results in too many widgets and the third point is not satisfied.

We are now experimenting with data points table.

Any other idea?

Best

Error messages / full error message screenshot / log file:

Question related to a free trial, or to a production (customer) instance?

Hi Luca,

As it wasn’t really mentioned in your requirements:
Is there a need to display a history of your measurements, or would be the current value sufficient?
Do you want to display all latest measurement values of all child devices at the same time? So e.g. 20 child devices times 6 measurements so 120 values to be displayed?
From my point of view the only option to display the 120 values in an overviewable way would be via a table. Although I still think that a user would probably still be overwhelmed by the amount of information.

I’m not aware of any existing widget that would e.g. list the measurements in a table where the devices are listed on one axis (e.g. rows) and the Datapoints on the other axis (e.g. columns), but this should be fairly straight forward to implement.

Regards,
Tristan

Hi Tristan,

there a need to display a history of your measurements, or would be the current value sufficient?

we would like to display the current value i.e. the last.

Do you want to display all latest measurement values of all child devices at the same time? So e.g. 20 child devices times 6 measurements so 120 values to be displayed?

Yep. At most it will be 3 measurements per child.

From my point of view the only option to display the 120 values in an overviewable way would be via a table. Although I still think that a user would probably still be overwhelmed by the amount of information.

I agree with you, maybe we can keep only the most important series to show but still, it’s not a scalable solution. In any case an overview table was the best solution I came up with too.

Still open to other suggestion

Probably you can try Asset Overview plugin.
This will display current value of measurement up to 5 series per device.

Regards,
Darpan

Hi Darpan,
I would love to try this but im facing the issue described here. However the proposed solution is not working for me.

any idea?

Best
Luca

Hi Luca,

Can you download and share platform details file from Cockpit App
See below screenshot for reference.

Regards,
Darpan

mmm this is what it looks like on my side

We are using a customized version of Cockpit, could this be the problem?

best

Uff the 1011.0.4 is pretty old and plugins are only supported using 1016+ Is there any chance you can upgrade your customized version of cockpit to at least 1016?

Yes, This plugin support Cumulocity UI 1018 or later. So it might not work with your custom Cockpit :frowning:

Hi guys,
thank you for your answers. Atm im trying to upgrade to the newest version. Im facing some issues, i’ll open a new thead!

Best

Hi Luca,

I’ve forgot that the asset table widget also allows to select datapoints.
I guess this would fit your usecase: