checksum

Here’s a Checksum program I use to verify that two Adabas files have identical contents. In my case, I am testing various methods of copying mainframe data to Adabas on Windows, and I needed a way to verify that the results are the same.
CHECKSUM.TXT (3.4 KB)

Nice piece of code. If I understand it correctly, you’re using Net-work to do all necessary type conversions between the Mainframe and the Windows world (i.e. EBCDIC <–> ASCII, Big Endian <–> Little Endian).

I got a related problem here, but I can’t use Net-Work, because my target-Database is not ADABAS…

I had tested my code with both databases on the same platform. As Matthias commented, my theory was that Net-Work would provide all the necessary conversions if the databases were on different platforms. Testing that theory exposed a minor flaw in my code.

Positive packed values on my zOS database contained a sign nibble of ‘F’ while the Windows version contained ‘C’. The numeric values are equivalent, but the Checksum routine sees them as different.

So, I added a line of code for each packed format field.

ADD 0 TO field-name

Now all the positive signs are the same. Which one I get is determined by the PSIGNF compiler option. (If your PSIGNF setting is the same on both platforms, this additional code is unnecessary.)

The updated source is attached.
CHECKSUM.TXT (3.63 KB)