Broker switch without outage

Hi All,

I have one IS running on 2 nodes, both are active mode and they are been connected to Broker.

I wanted to move the all 3 into different machines without outage

What all different possibilites to implement this without having an outage to the partners

1.If all message types are Guaranteed then we don’t have any impact as docs/msg’s get stored in outbound doc store though Broker does up for some time – Hope,no outage requeired
2.Can we switch volatile docs to guaranteed for some time and once migration is done we can switch the switched msg types back to volatile(is
it right way to do it )
3.Any short cut to find msg type is of volatile/guaranteed
4.Any other possibilites to migrate systems to other machine without outage

Thanks,
RP.

In any case you will have to shutdown broker/monitor for migration tasks and thus a outage is necessary for proper moving.

Does all the broker servers having same monitor running and I assume 3 diff machines means various monitors setup for each broker?

HTH,
RMG

Hi RMG,

Thanks for your reply. I am using 7.12 version and I have only one broker exist in my environment. My need is to move these 3 ( 2 IS nodes which are in cluster and 1 broker ) to a different machine.

When I am moving the broker, i don’t want to have any loss of msg’s ( volatile/guaranteed ).

I need a feasible way to handle this activity. I am thankful to those who are spending their valuable time on this thread.

Thanks,
RP.

Dear All,
In this process, which is good to shutdown first – either Broker/IS
If I shutdown IS, who will take care of storing docs to Q’s ?

Any inputs on this.

Thanks,
RP.

Suggestion:

• install new Broker first.

• create a Broker Territory which contains both Brokers (old and new).

• install and configure the new ISes to connect to the new Broker.

[loop over IS-Instance]
shutdown old instance
move the code to the new instance
start new instance
[/loop]

After completing this remove the territory and clean up the old instances.

Regards,
Holger

RP,

Try out Hongler suggestion…It should be good one to go

Thanks
Sai

Yes I agree with Holger and a safer approach.

HTH,
RMG

Hi All,

Thanks for your inputs. In my current environment i have only one broker. I don’t want to add any more as it is a restriction from client.

Thanks,
RP.

There is currently one broker on the current machine and there will be only one broker on the new machine after completion.

Only for the time in the middle there will exist both brokers connected by the territory, which works as one single broker (according to the SAG Documentation).

In this case the both brokers will share the doctype definitions and clients.

Otherwise when the broker is shutdown, all broker based communications are interrupted and upon reconfiguring the IS to the new Broker address, all local stored documents get lost.

If this does not suite your requirements please provide some more details about the environments and your migration scenario.

Regards,
Holger

Yes that is the smooth and safe migration procedure steps and you can convince your client for short term configuration and they should understand and list out them all the steps to get their approval may be.

HTH,
RMG