Best practise for wM Installation

I have been given two boxes and asked to setup webMethods Environment on Windows 2003 server.
I was looking for some best practise notes on architecture.
What will be the best option for me given that I have to install IS and Broker ?
Will really appreciate your expert advice on it.
Thanks

I am planning to install 6.5 version.
Thanks

Are the two machines to be used for a development, test or production environment? Will Trading Networks be used? Will IS clustering be used? Do outside partners need access to IS to invoke services? Is Broker really needed or is it being used mostly because it exists?

Are the two machines to be used for a development, test or production environment?
First they will be used as development. Since there will not be huge load they might be used as test / production.

Will Trading Networks be used?
Yes I would like to have TN.

Will IS clustering be used?
Yes.

Do outside partners need access to IS to invoke services?
No.

Is Broker really needed or is it being used mostly because it exists?
Yes I do see need of Broker. The requirment is they need guaranteed delivery.

Thanks

Why? Are you really, really sure that you need this? IMHO, IS clustering adds complexity that almost always exceeds its added value.

Mark

I really honor your opinion and its upto me to decide on Clustering. That was my first thought when I came across this specs.
I want this environment to be really simple. Like One box will be having IS, TN…and the Other box I will have Broker. Would this be Ideal ?

For development environments, I usually install Broker and IS on the same box. I would recommend a minimum of 2GB for this and 4GB would be better. Give IS 2GB on Windows. I would not install a database server on this IS/Broker/TN box or anything else resource intensive.

Also, Broker 6.5.2 now ships with My webMethods Server which requires access to a database server. It will run OK on the IS/Broker/TN box and can be used to administer Broker and JMS across multiple environments. Consider installing MwS on its own server if it will be used to administer multiple environments as it will then not be subject to restart when you need to restart the server hosting IS, Broker and TN.

Mark

Is the plan to create this environment and move it through test and then production and then get new machines to serve as development? Not an unreasonable approach, but you might consider keeping these boxes as development and then buy and build new machines for test and prod. That way, you’ll create and debug your deployment processes too.

Do you have a defined need for TN or is it just a case of “would like to?” I would caution against using it simply because it exists. There should be a specific need that you’re addressing.

As Mark mentioned, this may be more work than it is worth. You should make sure you understand what IS clustering does and does not do. Then if you have a need that only IS clustering can address, then you’ll at least have some justification for using it.

Be careful. The “guaranteed delivery” feature is very specific in what it does and doesn’t do. Broker assures that the event will get to IS, but after that, it doesn’t do anything. If your IS service that processes the document from Broker isn’t designed correctly, you can still drop things. My point isn’t to necessarily dissuade from using Broker (though IMO it’s rarely needed) but that you make sure you understand exactly what the components do and do not do so that you make more-informed decisions.

Rob,
I really appreciate your opinion on considering the various aspects before going further with architecture and installation.
As said earlier by Mark I will go ahead with installation of 6.5 on one box for the development environment.
Thanks