Basic doubt on Brokers

Hi All

I have a basic doubt on Brokers. Can the Enterprise Server run on one host/machine and the brokers for that Enterprise Server run on a different host/machine? This is for distributed components deployment.

Also how does the communication between brokers of the same Enterprise/Broker server happen? I came across the term Territories while going through one of the documents on Enterprise Server, where in it was stated the Enterprise Servers can grouped into one Territory. Is the grouping into Territory is at the Enterprise server level or at the Broker level? Does the brokers needs to be grouped into a single Territory for communication to happen between them even if the brokers belong to the same Enterprise Server?

Can anyone help me in clearing these basic doubts for me?

Thanks in advance
Yuvaraj

Hi,

A broker runs only on Enterprise Server ( in fact Enterprise Server is the host or the process to run the brokers), you can not seperte them.

But you can run different brokers on different machines by putting enterprise servers on diff hosts, and they may communicate to each other…

Chirag.

Hi Chirag

Thanks for such a quick reply. One of my doubtis clarified. But do you have any idea how the brokers communicate? This question is for two cases

• One if the brokers communicating belong to the same Enterprise Server
  • Other if the brokers trying to communicate belong to different Enterprise Server.

Where does this comcept of Territory come into picture?

Thanks
Yuvaraj

Hi Chirag

Thanks for such a quick reply. One of my doubtis clarified. But do you have any idea how the brokers communicate? This question is for two cases

• One if the brokers communicating belong to the same Enterprise Server
  • Other if the brokers trying to communicate belong to different Enterprise Server.

Where does this comcept of Territory come into picture?

Thanks
Yuvaraj

Yuvaraj,

The brokers communicate to each other sharing client lists and client groups. Brokers actually don’t do communicate directly to each other.
To make brokers communicating to each other, you must set up a territory. Territories can be formed with brokers on different machines.

I advise you to take a look at the chapter ‘Territories and Gateways’ in Administration and Analysis’, delivered with your Enterprise Server software, also on download from the Advantage User Community.

Let me know if I need to be more detailed,

Shyam

HI Yuvaraj,

Well Brokers belonging to same territary share their repository of events. and the events are broadcasted to entire territories. If they belong to different territories, then you can set up gateways between them to do the communication.

Regards,

Chirag.

Yuvaraj:

“Can the Enterprise Server run on one host/machine and the brokers for that Enterprise Server run on a different host/machine?”

No. A Broker Server is essentially the runtime environment for Brokers. A Broker Server can host multiple brokers.

“Also how does the communication between brokers of the same Enterprise/Broker server happen?”

By default, they do not communicate with each other. The territory facility provides communication between brokers.

“Is the grouping into Territory is at the Enterprise server level or at the Broker level?”

It is at the Broker level. Brokers within a Territory can communicate directly to each other–but this is managed behind the scenes. You only need to set up the territory and the appropriate permissions. The shuffling of configuration data amongst the brokers in the territory is done automatically (all event/document definitions, client groups, etc. are automatically propagated to all brokers in the territory). Adapters/broker clients still connect to a specific broker. The subscriptions made will be known to all brokers in the territory.

For example, say adapter ‘A’ connects to Broker ‘Y’ and subscribes to doc type ‘D’. Adapter ‘B’ connects to Broker ‘Z’ and publishes a doc of type ‘D’. Adapter ‘A’ will get the doc if Brokers ‘Y’ and ‘Z’ are in the same territory.

If Brokers ‘Y’ and ‘Z’ are in different territories, you can set up gateways, one in each territory. If doc type ‘D’ is configured to be allowed to be passed through the gateways, then a doc of type ‘D’ from Adapter ‘B’ will make it through to Adapter ‘A’.

“Does the brokers needs to be grouped into a single Territory for communication to happen between them even if the brokers belong to the same Enterprise Server?”

Yes.

Shyam’s advice to review the “Territories and Gateways” chapter is right on.

Hi all,

We have the next scenario:

2 Integration Servers in different machines (in fact they’re in different countries), 2 Broker Servers (in the same machines), each one with a broker. One broker receives the publications and the other the subscriptions.

We’re defining the architecture that our final solution will have, and we’re doubting between two possible solutions:

1. Include the two brokers in the same territory, so they can share data, and view when the documents are published/subscribed

2. Define each broker in its own territory, and use a Gateway between them to do the communication.

Which pros/cons have each solution in reference to security and performance?

By the way, now we’re going to implement this architecture in the development environment (one server). We can install 2 Integration Server and 2 broker servers (each with one broker) and then move “easily” to our production environment? It’s better to use from the beginning 2 IS and broker servers or we can develop in a simple environment and then migrate to production in an easy way?

Thanks in advance,

Ignasi

hai,

Iam creatirng more brokers in my broker server and iam changing default
broker that means i take another broker as a default broker ,but in my developer shows only first default broker documents only that means Broker #1 documents.I want show documents of new default broker.So tell me where iam going wrong.
with regards,
venkat

Check if your IS Server is pointing to your new broker, if not change it, then you should see the correct docs

Thahir

Hi Brahmanand,

After making new default broker, go to Root page->Settings->broker->change broker name to new default broker name and save the settings.
It will ask for restart.Restart your IS.
Then goto developer->Files->sync Document types->All
Push all documents or the documents you requires to broker.
After that go to BrokerAdmin page, there you will see all the documents.

Regards,
Puneet Saxena