Architecture dobuts related to webmethods 60

Hi,

How does webMethods handle synchronous communication? Does it use block and wait on queue’s or does it bypass queues entirely?

Is there a single logical queue, or multiple that we can pass different messages over? Are they all JMS, or webMethods proprietary? Does the queue get attached for a particular client only through client queue storage type?

I assume you’re talking about wM Broker.

Request/reply is psuedo-synchronous. This does not bypass the queues.

You have some flexibility when you use the API. The API has methods to do publishRequestAndWait() and it has a timeout. Or you can publish a request and get the reply later.

Adapters are usually a bit more restrictive, expecting replies within a user-configurable timeout.

AFAIK, there is a single publish queue on the broker that receives published docs from all clients. There is a delivery queue for each client. Clients can share a single queue via proper configuration (the default is one queue per client). The Broker is a JMS provider but the underpinnings are undoubtedly proprietary.

“Does the queue get attached for a particular client only through client queue storage type?”

I’m not sure what you mean. Every client that connects to a broker has a queue. The queues can have different storage characteristics (memory only, guaranteed) which is controlled by the client group the client says it belongs to.

HTH

I am planning to use scheduled delivery queues in TN. If I have 5 different public queues running with multiple tasks associated with each, how can I find out the number of tasks within each of the queues and also the state of all the tasks within each queue (DONE, FAIL, etc)? I see TN has task management services to listQueuedTasks and also the getTaskStatus but I dont see a service which can list all the queued tasks as well as the state within each. Is there available service to do this ?

Steve

I don’t believe so. Create your own service that calls listQueuedTasks, then loop around the ids to get the individual task status. You call fill your own custom record with just the values you want from the individual task or build up an array within the loop of all the tasks with the full data associated with them.

Hi all,

In our project we have to integrate with SAP and Database.We are planning to use webMethods 6.01, tell us shall we use only IS without using Broker since i can use SAP adapter and JDBC adapter on IS.

We are new to webMethods, please suggest us and tell us wht are the advantages of using IS with Broker and IS without broker.

Thanks,

D Woo

Hi Woo,

It completes depends upon the business scenario…For your integration you need not use Broker…

Cheers,
Thota

I agree with Thota. You can be successful without using the Broker.