Adabas Vista 8.2 project watch

Hi,

I am responsible for Adabas Vista in Software AG R&D. I thought it would be interesting to tell you the things we are working on in the next wave. Here’s a few words on the main things…

1. Allow partitioned files to exceed the 4-byte ISN limit
    A maximum of 4-byte ISN per partition instead of per file. This is a new option and requires the addition of a special field adding to the FDT (must be used in all views), Vista will use it to manage the partition identities. This means files of extraordinary size can be accommodated.

2. Support Super-field as partition criteria.
    This mean multiple fields can contribute to the partition criteria.

3. Online administration (SYSAVI) - security
    Allow functions to be secured in RACF (etc), this requires Adabas SAF Security to be available.

4. Online administration (SYSAVI) - “check” functions
    Allow the administrator to check that definition for partitions, translations are valid by generating Adabas commands to make sure the intended target data can be reached.

5. AVICLOG
    Allow it to be reset so the log will show further activities being recorded from the start of the log.

6. System-wide newcopy - along with other client-based products.
    Allow the administrator to stimulate dynamic re-load of the main kernel of the product to allow maintenance fixes to be adopted 24*7. This is in line with similar facilities in Fastpath, the facilities will become integrated.

7. Common tracing
    The ability to trace individual client Adabas command activity with information about Vista processing for translation/partitioning. This is in line with similar facilities in Fastpath (etc), integrated.

8. APIs
    The will be a further evolution of APIs to allow manipulation of Vista configuration (IMPORT/EXPORT) so that configuration can be manipulated programmatically - and therefore copied from file to file etc. Also, further APIs to provide more statistical runtime information.

There are plenty more changes of a smaller nature. I hope you find this information useful.

Best regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am receiving +0249 vista adabas response for A1 call.

Calls are S1 to find, then HI to hold ISN, then A1 for amending. There is no L1 call.

All have same control block only COMMAND-CODE is changing from S1 to HI to A1.

After S1 call i am saving the ISN and then same i am passing for HI and A1 call.

For some records calls are successful when limit is not reached. But for records where limit is reached it is give +0249 error response.

isn:
02 ADA-CTRL-ISN S9(9) COMP

initially i didn’t pass anything. then i have moved ‘+0’ then ‘.’ but all trials failed.

When i changed size of isn from S9(9) COMP to S9(4) COMP then error response received as +0062.

ADABAS response +0062 means -
One of the following has occurred:
? The length of the search or value buffers as specified in the search and value buffer length
fields, respectively, was not sufficient to accommodate the search criteria specified.
? The first character in the search buffer was a period (.).
? The search buffer does not contain a period (.).

Could you please suggest do we need to pass anything in control block for partition datasets. I never worked on partition datasets.

If you have any sample code for partition dataset direct cobol-adabas calls then could you please provide.

I don’t know how to correct this control block for partition dataset. I think i need to pass some value which i am missing.

Could you please suggest on my below control block.

02 ADA-CTRL-FILLER-1 S9(4) COMP +0000
02 ADA-CTRL-COMMAND-CODE X(2) A1
02 ADA-CTRL-COMMAND-ID X(4) ST11
02 ADA-CTRL-FILE-NUMBER S9(4) COMP +31229
02 ADA-CTRL-RESPONSE S9(4) COMP +0249
02 ADA-CTRL-ISN S9(9) COMP -2147448637
02 ADA-CTRL-ISN-LOW-LIMIT S9(9) COMP +00000000
02 ADA-CTRL-ISN-QUANTITY S9(9) COMP +00000000
02 ADA-CTRL-FORMAT-BUFF-L S9(4) COMP +0102
02 ADA-CTRL-RECORD-BUFF-L S9(4) COMP +0401
02 ADA-CTRL-SEARCH-BUFF-L S9(4) COMP +0000
02 ADA-CTRL-VALUE-BUFF-L S9(4) COMP +0000