Fixs needed to upgrade (10.5 to 10.15)

Detailed explanation of the problem:

Hello everyone, I am upgrading webMethods 10.5 to 10.15 (for ATG, APIG, IS, MWS, UM, CC) and one requirement is the installation of latest product fixes.

Our webMethods tools are splitted in several servers :

• server 1 = ATG
  • server 2 = APIG
  • server 3 = IS / MWS
  • server 4 = UM
  • server 5 = CC

I am using command central to install latest fixs in 10.5 and I was wondering if all fixes are needed for each environment.

For example, in my server 4 (UM), I installed all fixes listed under the category “Universal Messaging” but some fixes are still available (Integration Server client 10.5 Fix 26 in “Common Library” category, Install Server Library in “Infrastructure” category and so on).

Should I install them all in order to perform an upgrade ?

Best Regards,
Arnaud SIMON

Hi Arnaud,

can you cross check this with the UpdateManager tool?

Usually, it is recommended to apply all Fixes, which are part of Common Library and Infrastructure, when they are offered by the UpdateManager for the selected installation.

Remember, that only the “default” instances will be updated automatically. All other instances in the same installation will require manual application of the Fixes.

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

IMO, yes. When updating to a new version, my opinion is one should always install all the latest, including fixes. After that is done and function is confirmed, then you can be selective/deliberate with which fixes get installed.

Some practice a “install all fixes every X period” approach. Our practice is “install a fix in a given version only if it addresses some specific observed issue.” We do this because too often installing fixes introduces other symptoms/bugs.

When working with support on an issue, support almost always says “install the latest fixes to see if that resolves the issue.” We always push back on that as it almost never corrects the issue and sometimes introduces additional problems. If the available fixes mention the specific symptom we have, then we install it (and any dependent/bundled fixes). If not, we do not install (unrelated) fixes and continue investigation of the issue.

2 Likes

Installing the latest fixes is recommended to reduce the version difference between environments. If there is a bug in any version, SAG usually implements a fix for each version having the bug. Personally I am in favor of installing fixes in regular basis, if you let them pile up it becomes a big bang and it suddenly requires more manual labor and it introduces more parameters that can fail. Even if you don’t patch your previous environment, it usually updates the packages after deployment.

Don’t forget that fixes are cumulative, meaning if you install version 25, it will include all versions below 25. And some fixes are applied to multiple components and some of them require another fix to be installed to another product if that product is in use.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. You can install all the fixes and overlook 1 requirement break the environment for instance. Or you can skip the fixes and some data can be corrupted; or neither go wrong and either can work fine. Whatever you do, always take a backup. Both VMs and DBs.

If you are upgrading the architecture as well in the mean time, then:

1. you can build a new environment,
  2. install all the recent fixes,
  3. clone the DB,
  4. test DB migration scripts
  5. deploy assets

to simulate the upgrade (highly recommended). Always keep a copy of the DB especially if you have data to migrate.

2 Likes

@Arnaud_Simon YES

Other than core fixes of each product, there are common libraries which are shared between IS and UM, or IS and MWS. These lib fixes must be same across diff components to work without issues.

Example, CDS library is IS and MWS must have same fix

UM or Broker library fix in IS must be same as messaging component

If you start to pick and choose, it might be difficult to manage.

For Infra and common library, go with the recommendation that SAG Update Manager provides and install those.

Regards
Senthil

2 Likes