Unable to migrate Salesforce adapter 7.1 to 8.2

Hello All,

I am trying to migrate SFDC adapter 7.1 to 8.2 by using wm.adapter.wmsalesforce.migration.Service:migrate_711_To_82 service it shows the could not enable the connection
but before use the migrate service the connection is in enable state.Once I run the migrate service the connection goes to disable state.

I can’t understand why it’s behave like this.Could you please give me any suggestions.

Thanks & Regards,
Prem Sai.

Can the connection be enabled after the migration manually?

If yes, just do so.

If not, you should consider deleting and recreating the connection after the migration.

Are there any hints in the migration guides related to this?

If this doesn´t help either, you should consider opening a Support Incident on Empower.


Hello Holger,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, After the migration I can manually create the adapter connection.

I deleted and recreated the adapter connection but there is still shows a could not enable the connection.

Could you please suggest me.

Thanks & Regards,
Prem Sai.

Hi Prem Sai,

in this case there migh be other members to assist you.

I am not working with the Salesforce Adapter, I was just checking certain points which helped us during our migration from wM 7.1 to 9.5 using WmJDBCAdapter, WmMQAdapter and WmSAP Adapter.
For those Adapters the major versions didnt change, but due to changes in the ART and the newer Fixes there were some issues to resolve.


Share if you see any errors or messages on server log/error log.

Make sure that IS_8.2_SP2_Core_Fix5 or later is installed on the host Integration

after running the migration service, you still have old adapter connections, you can
migrate them by modifying the Endpoint URL for the connections in Integration Server
Administrator to https://login.salesforce.com/services/Soap/u/25.0.

Check the SAG docs if you have missed any other migration steps and also see if any Network firewall is blocking the connection.

Hello Srinivas,

Thanks for giving suggestion.

I have installed the IS_8.2_SP2_Core_Fix5 fix and changed the end point url also.

I did all of the migrate steps as mentioned in the SAG document. Till now my issue is not resolved.

Could you please suggest me.

Thanks & Regrads,
Prem Sai.

Make sure you have required jar files in place in your target server. I don’t see this as a migration issue as even if you try to create a new connection, it is not getting enabled. Increase the logging while you are enabling the connection which will provide the entire stack of the issue.