Unable to access Cumulocity API via Postman

username:password

try to make a new user with a username without “@”. we had also trouble before when using a email address.

make a user named “API”
password: “api12345”
and use the token “Basic YXBpOmFwaTEyMzQ1”

if that one works, you are on the right way

Best regards

Mirko

I can’t change the username this option isn’t available. is there another solution?

Hi Yousef,

often this error occurs because of some typo in the username or the password, when creating the base64 encoded. Did you use a specific tool or page to generate the base64 encoded string? Have you used Postman to set the Authorization using the Authorization tab:

You could also double check your base64 token with the one used in Cumulocity using the Developer Tools of your browser. The Developer Tools should provide a Network tab, which displays all the traffic for a specific browser tab. Navigate in Cumulocity to any application or page to execute a couple of requests. Pick an HTTP request to Cumulocity and check the request headers for the Authorization token and compare it to the one you are using in Postman:

Best regards
Christian

Hi, Christain

I’ve used this tool to encode the base64 encoded https://www.base64encode.org/ but previously I’ve used the base64 provided by the ubuntu terminal but both of them generated the same string. I encoded this one: env641673/yousef.okasha@techsa.io:“, I’ve also used the authorization tab that you used in the attached picture but also got a response with 401 status code.PASSWORD”

As you can see there is no Authorization header in the request headers, there are only cookies.

Thank you

Hi Yousef,

you are using a Cumulocity instance within softwareag.cloud, which uses SSO for authentication. Therefore, you don’t see the authorization header as authorization is handled via a token in the Cookie. That’s also the reason why Basic authentication doesn’t work for your current user, because the user is configured to sign in and authenticate via SSO.

The easiest solution for your issue is to create a new local user within your Cumulocity tenant, which then will use Basic authentication. How to managed and add a new user is described here. I suggest to create a user with a preconfigured password, who has the role admin assigned:

The role admin allows the user to access all available APIs. Once you have created this user you can his credentials (username and password) to generate the Basic auth header (or simply copy it from the Dev Tools, when you sign in with the newly created user).

Best regards
Christian

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.