RaspberryPi Sensor Data Transfer to Cumulocity

Hello,
I could successfully register my RaspberryPi to Cumulocity tenant. After registration I could see 12 child devices registered under my RPI instance. They are (See attached image “Child Devices.png”):

• Raspi LED [0…7]: 8 Child devices

Raspi Button [0…3]: 4 Child devices

I need some help / detailed documentation which can point to what these child devices are and what is their purpose.

Sensor Data:
I integrated DHT11, PIR Motion detection sensors to my Raspberry PI device and could get the readings with a simple python script. This was to test if sensors are working fine.
As a next step, i want to transfer these readings to Cumulocity, in my understanding, the cumulocity-agent running on RaspberryPi should automatically transfer the readings of connected sensors.
But that is not happening.

However in Cumulocity i can see my device’s status as Green - Connected (See attached image “Device Status.png”)

If someone has been able to successfully transfer sensor data to Cumulocity and has any reference / documentation please share.

Regards,
Manoj

Device Status.png

Hi Manoj,

sorry for the late reply. Basically the child devices represents the sensors connected to you Raspberry Pi. These can vary from Rasperry Pi to Raspberry Pi.

That the connection is shown offline is not necessary a problem. First it only means that the connection is not supervised by the system. Data transfer is possible in most cases even with showing sent connection offline.

best regards
Michael

Thanks Michael for the responding to the query.

I quite didn’t get when you say sensors attached to RPI. Do you mean the senors on RPI board or additional sensors attached to GPIO PINs.

Example, I attached DHT-11 sensor to RPI and thought the readings would be automatically communicated to Cumulocity platform, but that didn’t happen.

To check if the sensor is working, i wrote a python program and that could read the readings.

So my question is, do we need to write some additional code to get the data from such sensors?

Regards,
Manoj

Hi Manoj,

I mean the sensors on board. For attached sensors you would need a script. That assumption by you is correct.

best regards
Michael

Hi Manoj,

I also have same requirement. Have you sorted it out ? Can you please help me ?

Hello,
Yes i could bring it to work by writing a small python script to read the sensor readings and push them to platform.
You can refer the below github repository published by SoftwareAG. It has relevant examples which can be used/referred.

Regards,
Manoj