Missing units of measurement

What product/components do you use and which version/fix level?

Cumulocity
Backend: 1011.0.12
UI: 1010.0.24

Are you using a free trial or a product with a customer license?

License

What are trying to achieve? Please describe in detail.

Unit conversion metric → imperial
Display of measurements in graph or when creating reports, it should either be in metric units or imperial units.
Selectable by the operator.

Do you get any error messages? Please provide a full error message screenshot and log file.

no

Have you installed latest fixes for the products

Hi All,
We have the source of our measurements in metric units.
Customers can choose to see measurements either in metric units or imperial units.
Example: speed in xx.xx cm/min → xx.xxx inch/min

Now the default way to achieve this is by setting a flag in the request header. See System of Units

My example of unit conversation will not work. Although the system converts cm → inch, it can not convert combinations like cm/min

Other units we use are not covered at all, e.g. kJ/cm

Any idea on how to extend the capabilities for this use case?

Thanks
Manfred

Hi Manfred,

unfortunately the unit conversion is limited to 1-dimensional values only:
https://cumulocity.com/api/10.13.0/#section/System-of-units

If you wanted this to be enhanced you can create a feature request here: https://cumulocityiot.ideas.aha.io/ideas?project=C8YCORE

If you don’t want to wait and you need a quick solution I would suggest a solution to use Apama Analytics Builder to convert the units to the desired unit. This will result in duplicate measurement values of course.

Another way could be to implement a microservice which provides endpoints to retrieve measurements and converts them to the desired target units on each request. This is especially useful if you want to use custom UIs or Widget which can fetch data from this microservice.

Regards
Stefan

1 Like

Hello Stefan,

we are only in the project start phase.

Do you see a realistic chance that a feature request will initiate a change in the “system-of-units”?

If so - from past experience - could one have an idea
a) by when the decision will be made and
b) by when an implementation would be available?

Later we have to move measurements from the tenant area to a data hub.
What would be a better choice if you are accessing data from a datahub rather than the mongo-db tenant?
I personally prefer the microservice solution, it seems more efficient and there is also the cost to consider.

Thank you
Manfred

Hi Manfred,

I cannot say how and when the idea will be implemented within the product. There is a process of each feature request: It will be prioritized, effort and impact estimated and then planned for implementation.

If you retrieve data from data-hub later on they will be only retrieved in the persisted unit. Here you can still enhance the microservice to do the unit conversion: 1. retrieving data from data hub, 2. convert units 3. return values in data format UI/Ext. App is expecting.
Or you convert them in Analytics Builder and store them multiple units.

Regards
Stefan

@strasser.manfred here is already an aha! idea for that in the backlog:

Link

@Nikolaus_Neuerburg

Hello Murat,
thank you for the link.

But I have problems retrieving information from it. Can you share the information per PDF file?
Or give some details on how to access that backlog.

Thanks
BR Manfred

You have to enter via:

Link

Hi Murat,
do you mind sending the complete link?
I tried to find in C8YCPT but just can not manage to find the idea of measurement units.

Thx

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.