Natural/ADABAS migration from Mainframe to HP-Unix

Hi,

We are checking the feasibility of migrating Natural application and ADABAS data from Mainframe to HP-Unix. I assume there are lot of tools and vendors who does this service. I am interested in knowing the changes required to be done like changes required for Natural statements or application, chenges required for ADABAS calls, Batch schedule changes, Online changes when migrating to HP-Unix. Please share info or any documents if you have. Thank You.

Hi Rajeev,

You ask a big question.

In general, I would expect the Natural code to move fairly easily (it depends on version → version) so long as it is relatively uncomplicated natural.

Adabas has the utilities to move data. You would need to watch for binary data or interpretation of EBCDIC information (also applies to the natural).

Big area of change will be batch as the two operating systems are different. JCL to Unix script can be done - again it depends on how complicated the batch environments are.

Why not approach your local Software AG office and ask them as I know that some areas offer this service.

Peter

Thank You Peter.

I know what I am asking is too general and cover wide areas :frowning:
But to start with I would like to just create to checklist or guideline kind of thing which will help in assessing the Impact list on Inventory.
ADAMAGIC is one tool which takes care of ADABAS data migration but not sure what about other things like Schema creation, Inverted list creation etc.
It would be great if someone who has been involved in such migration can share his experience. Thank You.

Hi! Have a look at this. There are many questions answered.

Greetings
Sascha Wiegandt

What does this thread have to do with “Open Source”?

Isn’t it a thread for
Natural Platforms
Topics regarding Natural running on various platforms, Application migration?

Thank You Sascha.
I have gone through that discussion which was initiated by you on the same topic. It is indeed very helpful. Do you have some more info available over this topic. Regards,

Thank You Sascha.
I have gone through that discussion which was initiated by you on the same topic. It is indeed very helpful. Do you have some more info available over this topic. Regards,